2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NANA
Airports: LESU

Re: Again ECU failure

Post by KJH »

I have a probably dumb question on this subject, but as I'm a newbie I'll ask it anyway. In the early days of ECU's on diesel engines in trucks, we had a switch on the engine, that put the ECU into "limp home" mode. EG bi passed it but allowed the motor to operate at a reduced capacity. Burnt more fuel for less power but would get you home / to the service center. Is there an equivalent on the diesel engines in the DA42/62 airframes?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

That was the set of symptoms when my ECU A failed.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

KJH wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:05 pm I have a probably dumb question on this subject, but as I'm a newbie I'll ask it anyway. In the early days of ECU's on diesel engines in trucks, we had a switch on the engine, that put the ECU into "limp home" mode. EG bi passed it but allowed the motor to operate at a reduced capacity. Burnt more fuel for less power but would get you home / to the service center. Is there an equivalent on the diesel engines in the DA42/62 airframes?
Yes.
To start with there are 2 ECUs. If a sensor fails, control of the engine switches to the other ECU. Should there be an issue with sensors for both ECUs in the same system then a set figure is used as a get me home or limp home mode.
For instance on the CD engines if both load sensors fail the the ECUs use 100% as limp home giving full power. If both RPM sensors fail the ECUs use 0RPM causing the prop to go to fine pitch/max RPM. There are similar figures for most systems.