3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Simulator for a DA62

Post by rdrobson »

I want to set up a simulator for a DA62 and I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on software and related hardware to do a decent job of simulating the DA62.

My primary use would be to practice IFR approaches before heading to new airports and also to practice IFR below my personal minimums. Since it would be primarily for IFR, can I get by without buying says 3 screens and instead get by with one since I will be head down most of the time?

Thanks for any help!

--Ron
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Simulator for a DA62

Post by CFIDave »

If this is primarily for practicing instrument approaches, I would suggest getting Garmin's G1000 PC Trainer for $25. While it doesn't provide any view outside the cockpit windows, it does show SVT on the PFD. If you run this on a laptop, add an external monitor so you can dedicate one screen to the PFD and the other to the MFD. Any cheap joystick will do; you don't need rudder pedals.

More importantly, this program replicates the functionality of a G1000 *EXACTLY* the same as the real G1000 -- something that all non-Garmin simulators struggle to do.

And it really doesn't matter if you can't get a version for the DA62 (there isn't yet one) or NXi; the DA40 version will teach you just as much about how to fly instrument approaches.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

CFIDave wrote:I would suggest getting Garmin's G1000 PC Trainer for $25.
Thanks, but I think I would want a bit more than this as I would still want to work on the transition from instruments to visual while landing. Another thing, when using Garmin's trainer is it just using the autopilot? Can you hand fly approaches using LOC and GS needles and no AP/FD?

--Ron
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Is there an updated version on Garmin's G1000 sim somewhere? I purchased one last year and it is compatible to Windows 7 or Vista, can't really remember. There has been big problems getting it to run on Win 10, I managed to get it running finally, but it still crashes quite frequently.

I ordered mine directly from Garmin's site (Europe). The software is super outdated and they still sold it. Yuck.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

The latest version I know of for the DA40 is V12.00, which has been out a while (since 2011 maybe?). I'm not having any problems running it in Windows 10, though. What version did they sell you last year?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Rick wrote:The latest version I know of for the DA40 is V12.00, which has been out a while (since 2011 maybe?). I'm not having any problems running it in Windows 10, though. What version did they sell you last year?
V11.X or it might have been V12, cant remember (I got so frustrated that I tossed to CD to garbage bin 8-) ).

I tried different options and compatibility settings. There was only one that worked enough so that I got it running finally.

I find it weird Garmin doesn't update the trainer - at least make it compatible to modern operating systems, as it was really good value and worked like the real G1000 (when it worked).
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

My suggestion (and what I do):
  • Install X-Plane (version 11.25 or higher) -- available for Windows, Mac, Linux
  • In X-Plane fly the C172-G1000 aircraft -- starting in X-Plane 11.10 this includes a very good implementation of the G1000; before 11.10 all G1000s were horrible; this C172-G1000 has the native Laminar (authors of X-Plane) implementation of the G1000
  • Joystick or Yoke is needed; rudder peddles not really needed for IFR work
  • Get a monthly subscription to PilotEdge.net -- this awesome service provides real-person ATC; you file/fly/talk in the sim just like in the real world
Yes, I know you'd like a DA62 aircraft to fly (and you can get X-Plane payware for the DA40, DA42, and DA62) but much more important IMHO is a very complete (I'd guess 95% complete) G1000 implementation within the simulator. I expect that the authors of the payware Diamonds will eventually upgrade to the Laminar G1000.

For those who have never used X-Plane, here's a Primer that I put together:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m9V ... sp=sharing
Last edited by waynemcc999 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Ron,

I agree with the above. The thing that matters most flying the G1000 IFR is getting the menus and pages as close to reality and getting those into your muscle memory. There are only two ways I know of doing that: using Garmin's simulator or using a certified simulator like the one at Angel City Flyers.

I did a bunch of the latter (2.7 hours, I think) during my multi-engine training. It was astonishingly real and stressful. It's airconditioned and I was sweating the entire time. I *suppose* it gives you the transition from instrument to visual that you are looking for, although my experience with that is that nothing is like the real thing. And it's pretty expensive to run.

Garmin's own simulator will put all of the important stuff into your head. To practice the transition I'd go out and just fly five approaches with an instructor. That part really doesn't change much for me. I've missed one approach in over a decade of flying IFR. That transition really isn't the issue. (The missed was to pickup an Angel Flight passenger, which made me feel badly, but the bizjet and commercial passenger jet behind me also went missed.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I have been very impressed with my Instagram buddy "diamondda62" in Florida who has built a very nice simulator based on X-Plane.

He 3D printed what he needed, built the switches and usb interfaced them up with a 64 usb input board to X-Plane.

You can find his feed here:
https://www.instagram.com/diamondda62/
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Shawn,
It will be interesting to see which fork in home simulators will prevail (or both):
(a) the basement cockpit -or-
(b) virtual reality cockpit

I've been following for a couple years a pretty prolific YouTuber "On the Glideslope" (http://www.ontheglideslope.net/). He spent a good deal of time/money building a replica C172 in his basement and loves it. Recently he tried an Oculus VR headset... jury is still out, but for many situations (e.g. maneuvers) he favors the VR headset over the physical cockpit.

Stay tuned (to various YouTubers).
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot