3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Tiedown for DA40

Post by BkFlyer »

You can also tie a figure 8 on the existing tie down ropes and attach the slide down to the end of that. It’s been working for me for years, through hurricanes and more.

Since mine is a permanent install at home base I tied the figure 8 through the slide down’s figure 8 so that they cannot separate.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

BkFlyer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:07 pm Regarding the earlier discussion on this thread from many years ago- I finally found the perfect solution to adapting Slidedown to the tiny tail tie down hole: soft loop motorcycle tie downs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YFDTQ5S?re ... b_ap_share

It’s a small length of heavy duty webbing with loops on both ends. One loop is twisted so that it can be fed through the tie down hole and looped around itself. lays flat again the tail. We have been using them for over 1 year to great effect. Super fast to out on and remove.
Picture? I don't see how this strap could fit through the tiny hole in my tail. The shackle works well but you can see where it is rubbing on the paint.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

PXL_20220327_143409213.jpg
It's fabric, so it fits through the hole just fine. It was super handy to have on my XC trip as well as I found varying tie-down options available. Also glad we have spare ropes on board, though they were not long enough for all tie-downs. As mentioned on the thread, there is no standard whatsoever for tie-down location, so having a longer rope available is helpful.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

More FBO's are switching tie downs to ratcheted cargo straps. I've carried D rings and extra rope loops for the tail. But more recently, I just loop the cargo strap through the tail and secure with the hook. Very secure and no extra hardware required.
thumbnail_IMG_9987.jpg
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Holes on previous posts much larger than mine unfortunately. I don't think I could fit that strap through.

I got a soft shackle a while back, I will try that next.