3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mikola
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: D4129
Airports: UKHH

Leaking fuel hoses

Post by Fly17 »

Already on the fifth plane meet leakage of fuel hoses, which are four to five years, although their service life eight. In the cold season in the cockpit can be present smell of kerosene, as one of the pipeline passes near the heating pipe. The figures marked with colors problematic fuel hoses.
Attachments
fuel lines of aux fuel tank.jpg
fuel lines in gondol engine.jpg
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Leaking fuel hoses

Post by Colin »

Have you replaced any of them? How difficult is it? My DA42 is 2007 and I do not believe any have been replaced.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Fly17
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Fly17 »

Colin wrote:Have you replaced any of them? How difficult is it? My DA42 is 2007 and I do not believe any have been replaced.
All hoses have I changed repeatedly. Change is difficult only position 30 in the figure. Use a hose of another company established in the plant is less reliable. Manifested wet green braid hose. Cause leakage-design-manufacturing flaw in the sealing of the hose. Teflon bellows poorly kept zadelke as less zhostkaya and passes fuel, as it has a smaller contact area with the incorporation of the hose.
Attachments
WP_20161216_005.jpg
WP_20161216_004.jpg
WP_20161216_003.jpg
WP_20161216_002.jpg
WP_20161216_001.jpg
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Colin wrote:Have you replaced any of them? How difficult is it? My DA42 is 2007 and I do not believe any have been replaced.
A couple of years ago I had to replace one hose that developed a leak. It was an oil hose, not a fuel hose.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Fly17
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Fly17 »

carym wrote:
A couple of years ago I had to replace one hose that developed a leak. It was an oil hose, not a fuel hose.
Tell me what you changed Oily hose. There hoses except in the venting system does not
FTEJerez
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: ECLTY
Airports: LEJR

Post by FTEJerez »

We currently operate a fleet of 6 DA42NG (and growing) aged 4 years and younger.
On all aircraft that were manufactured in 2013 (4 of them) we have found evidence of leaks in the fuel line that connects the main fuel tank to the fuel selector valve assy.
Problems started 5 months ago with reports of fuel fumes in the cabin, but because this is a low pressure line (pressure is below ambient when fuel pumps are running), the fuel would just soak and not drip, making it very difficult to identify. The leak was only discovered recently on one of the aircraft and further inspection revealed that all 2013 aircraft were affected.
Diamond was contacted and replied that all lines were changed from S/N 125 and up (our 2 newer aircraft have "new hoses"), and a change was made in the IPC to reflect this modification (we inquired as the P/N's of the hoses being removed did not match those of the hoses being installed).
Again we inquired on the issue of an SI, SL or SB to reflect this change as it is was evident Diamond was aware of the problem, but they have yet to comment on that.
P/N installed on A/C with S/N<125: A24344-03
P/N currently on IPC and S/N>125: A24570-03

It is a "relief" to find other operators/owners with the same problems we are facing, I just wish I had found this forum sooner!
If anyone requires any more information or description on this particular issue, don't hesitate do let me know as we are more than willing to share any information regarding the sustainability and reliability of these aircraft.
Steve D
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: ZS-SDW
Airports: FALA

Post by Steve D »

Is this problem on all 42's or only on Austro powered 42's?

I have a 2008 DA42TDi and have had no problems so far.
Steve Dewsbery
CPL IR NR
Johannesburg, South Africa
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Airports:

Post by Aart »

'Thielert' DA42, no problems so far. Note: hoses and pipes need to be replaced every 5 years under EASA rules, Airworthiness limitation.. Did that in 2013. Different in SA, Steve? And how about FAA, Colin?
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
FTEJerez
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: ECLTY
Airports: LEJR

Post by FTEJerez »

Steve, the best I can offer is that the NG has a different P/N in the IPC (24570-03 vs 24562-02 on the DA42 and DA42AC). However, and seeing how close those P/N's are, I would physical confirm the P/N on the installed line (metallic tag) to make sure that Diamond hasn't changed the IPC reference on the non-Austros as well.

Aart, could you please tell me where you have found that info regarding changes in fuel lines? I can't find an AD on the EASA website relating to that issue.

Thanks!
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Hi Daniel,
It's not an AD, it's in the Maintenance Manual(s): The Aircraft MM (chapter 4, Airworthiness Limitations) refers to 'possible Airworthiness Limitations' of vendor equipment, and lists the engine MM. The 'Thielert' MM states (chapter 5, Airworthiness Limitations): 'Every 60 months replace all fuel, oil and cooling lines'.
Correct me if I am wrong!
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)