HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

Garmin G5 to be available for certified aircraft

Post by HPNAviator »

Now that the Garmin G5 is announced to be available as a primary source for attitude information I wonder if we can use it to replace the back-up attitude indicator in the DA40? The 4 hour battery is very compelling as well as the consistent presentation with the G1000. I am making the assumption that the DA40 will be on the STC list since it says there are 520 makes and models on the list.

http://aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news ... min-g5-stc

Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Garmin G5 to be available for certified aircraft

Post by Rick »

Currently the STC only lists the DA20-A1 and DA20-C1... no DA40's. I wonder why?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Here are some interesting limitations that pop up here and there:

(1) Excluding aircraft equipped with Avidyne Integra
(2) Excluding aircraft equipped with Garmin G500
(3) Excluding aircraft equipped with Garmin G1000
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

I saw it today. Seemed nice. Would be interesting to do a side-by-side of the Sandia, Dynon, and the Garmin. Personal pet peeve on all of them, not flush mount on the panel. :)

Not sure I'd want to pay the mid-cont premium just to have that though...
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Something like that would make a perfect companion to the G500 STC (which requires that 3 steam gauges be retained) and obviously to the G1000.
It is very unfortunate that Garmin are targeting a completely different group. The good thing about them is that they listen and are very competition-driven. I think this device is a direct reply to Sandia's new offering.

I wonder if a field approval as a replacement for the 3 pack instruments of DA40 and 42 can be obtained.
This would save weight and free-up premium location panel real estate for adding some iThing. The electro-mechanical backup artificial horizon tends to fail occasionally, and this is an expensive repair for an instrument that is essentially outdated and lags way behind even a Dynon D2 for triple the price.

Interestingly, the G5 is available as an experimental-only version with MORE features for $1'200 plus $150 for the backup battery.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the- ... ery-dialog.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The limitations I posted are telling. There's something about the existing glass-panel/backup deal that seems to make the "approved" backup instruments sacrosanct. Note that there are NO Cirri on the list, as I believe all models were delivered with Avidynes (and backups).

However, there are us lowly DA40 owners with six-packs that could use one of these devices. Note that it combines 5 of them into one instrument. The HSI being the exception. Methinks we were overlooked, being in the minority. :cry:

FWIW, in 14+ years and 1500+ hours Hobbs time, my electric iron gyro has never failed. It has always been slow to erect, but this has never posed a problem.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

A Garmin rep at OSH provided the most credible explanation for no G5 STC support in a backup configuration with the advanced Garmin systems: apparently the G5 shares the same code base. This is an issue for a backup environment, since it is important that a single failure mode not take out all your instrumentation.

This problem may or may not be insurmountable, but could certainly make certification more difficult.

Chris
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

I am in touch with the managing director of Garmin avionics and have placed the request with him to deliver a similar solution for the G1000 world and the G500 upgrade business.
Explicitly mentioned the "installed base" of DA40 and 42.

Also contacted the FAA (Seattle FSDO) and asked them if they would consider the installation of a G5 in an Extra 400 as a backup to a G500 to qualify as a minor modification (if not, tell me what kind of modification it is).

I formulated the question in two steps:

1. replace AI (no connection to static/pitot system)
2. replace altitude and ASI (with a connection, obviously)

I expect that 2 is not minor, possibly even a big deal, but maybe 1 is ok.

I must also say how impressively responsive and willing to help so far the FAA has been so far.

If the statement by the Garmin rep is correct, the FSDO will turn me down... and we can try again with a Dynon device. But honestly not one of these experimental devices looks anywhere as nice as the G5 in my view and I would really love Garmin to provide a clean solution.
Over time, we may hope that all three backup instruments go away, freeing up some premium real estate for a panel mounted iPad mini.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

OK I admit defeat. The G5 is not for us G500/1000 pilots. Got consistent answers from both Garmin and the FAA...
But something is cooking at Garmin and we may well see a solution later.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Chris B wrote:A Garmin rep at OSH provided the most credible explanation for no G5 STC support in a backup configuration with the advanced Garmin systems: apparently the G5 shares the same code base. This is an issue for a backup environment, since it is important that a single failure mode not take out all your instrumentation.

This problem may or may not be insurmountable, but could certainly make certification more difficult.

Chris
I'm surprised that this was what you were told. At the G3X seminar I attended, the presenter specifically told us that the G5 used independent/dissimilar code and hardware from the G3X (which was derived from the G1000) - which is why it was a good option as a backup instrument. Maybe the G5 code is too similar to the G1000 code, but that would seem contradictory.