3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Geo Referencing on Chartview

Post by curts63 »

I'm new to owning a Diamond DA40. In my last plane, a homebuilt with Garmin G3X Touch, all the maps and approaches were geo referenced. Does the G1000 have this option for Chartview or does it require Jeppesen charts? If the latter, is Diamond considering an upgrade for Chartview? It's nice to see your plane on the airport diagram and approach plates.
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Re: Geo Referencing on Chartview

Post by curts63 »

My mistake, I should have said Garmin's Flitecharts, not Chartview. It seems ridiculous that you should have to install a second "system" instead of just using Garmin's software and charts.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

The DA40's G1000 supports either Garmin FliteCharts or Jeppesen ChartView. I don't recall if you need an unlock card to enable FliteCharts or if you just need to purchase the databases.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

curts63 wrote:It's nice to see your plane on the airport diagram and approach plates.
FWIW, I subscribed to FliteCharts for the first year and used it exactly twice: once to confirm that it loaded properly, and once to show a friend. ;)

I shoot a lot of IMC approaches, and personally much prefer having geo-referenced plates on the tablet, leaving the MFD for moving map with terrain & traffic. At airports, SafeTaxi (which is fantastic and intuitive) displays position on the moving map, but does not require FliteCharts.

Chris
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

curts63 wrote:I'm new to owning a Diamond DA40. In my last plane, a homebuilt . . .
What was your homebuilt Curt and how did you like it?
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by curts63 »

I was hoping to be able to see the plane as I progress on the approach plates without having to pay for a second subscription through Jeppesen. Talked to Diamond and Garmin, no such luck. I would need to pay for the second one. I'm still paying for the plane, not sure I want to incur additional expenses right away. Guess I'll fly with Foreflight and what the panel can offer for now.

rwtucker, my homebuilt was an Arion Lightning EXP. I bought it from the builder and then I installed the Garmin G3X Touch system. That system can do it all and costs a fraction of the Certified equipment. I had it for just over two years, pretty much until I decided that life is too short not to own what you really wanted all along. So, I spent more money on a good used plane than I spent on my house...and here I am.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Chris B wrote:I shoot a lot of IMC approaches, and personally much prefer having geo-referenced plates on the tablet, leaving the MFD for moving map with terrain & traffic. At airports, SafeTaxi (which is fantastic and intuitive) displays position on the moving map, but does not require FliteCharts.
I totally agree with Chris. Don't use your precious MFD screen real estate for display of approach charts -- that's what your iPad with Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, etc is for. Instead, use the MFD in Flight Plan mode (with waypoints, moving map, crossing altitudes, distances, etc.) as you fly -- for approaches or en-route. Approach charts look like crap on the blocky pixelated screen of the G1000 MFD (2004 technology 1024 x 768 pixels) compared to reading the fine print of approach charts on an iPad with high-resolution Retina display.

You'll save money because Garmin or Jepp charts for the G1000 cost considerably more than the approach charts already included with a Foreflight or Garmin Pilot subscription for your iPad. And you'll also end up with better situational awareness with 3 screens of information (PFD/MFD/iPad) rather than just 2. For our G1000 I subscribe to Garmin's PilotPak subscription option that includes all databases except Garmin FliteCharts.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by curts63 »

You're probably right. The Ipad does have better graphics and the ability to show your progress. Now I just need to find a good place and system to mount it?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I don't bother trying to mount an iPad in the cockpit of a DA40/DA42. I think iPad mounts make sense for steam gauge aircraft where a mounted iPad is the only way to have a moving map always available for situational awareness.

But with a G1000 I find iPad use necessary in flight only for viewing approach charts. Thus I have an iPad Mini (in my experience the full-size iPad is too big for our crowded cockpits) with an Apple protective cover that I simply rest on my kneeboard when flying approaches or when otherwise needed to view in flight. Otherwise it's kept readily-available stored in one of the plane's side pockets.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I second the vote for the iPad mini. I found the full size difficult to deal with but my new Mini sits nicely on my kneeboard. If I'm solo, I toss it on the right seat when I don't need it. When someone is in the right seat, there is a perfect spot to stow it between the lower seat-back and the side of the fuselage. I use FlyQ but all of these apps have advantages and all are constantly improving. FlyQ 2.2 added a bunch of nice features.

This eBook has a few good tips for iPad piloting.
Digital-Flying.pdf
(640 KiB) Downloaded 184 times