Revamped Diamond North America website - Lycoming DA40 model killed off?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Revamped Diamond North America website - Lycoming DA40 model killed off?

Post by linzhiming »

After being unavailable for a couple of months (referring to the Austrian Diamond website), it seems that the revamped Diamond Aircraft North America website is now up and running: http://www.diamondaircraft.com/

Besides the fact that the sales model seems to have changed to being recentralized now (previously discussed in this forum), I noticed that

- The Lycoming version of the DA40 has completely disappeared and only the DA40NG and DA40 Tundra Star are now shown
- Diamond is now offering a CPO (certified pre-owned) programme, again apparently centrally run by Diamond rather than through the Diamond service centres

Has anybody heard more from Diamond recently around some of their North America changes? Is it correct to assume that Diamond has stopped production of the Lycoming version of the DA40s going forward?

Wolfgang
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Revamped Diamond North America website - Lycoming DA40 model killed off?

Post by krellis »

Welcome to the world of Diamond Aircraft orphan owners. My A1 was orphaned years ago. Peter Maurer (Diamond Canada President) told me when my airplane was 10 years old "you can't expect us to support an airplane we no longer produce". I told him I strongly disagreed with his position. Christian Dries told me a couple of years ago that the North American avgas market was dead to him. He may be "brilliant", but I think he is a rich guy with ADD, who doesn't really have to answer to anyone. Hence the attitude and "squirrel" mentality.

Good news I guess is that DA40's will still be produced in one form or another, so parts should be available and the IO-360M1A (and Lycoming) will be around for a while. I would wonder about upgrades to the G1000, especially with the ADS-B deadline looming. Given Diamond's upgrade history for the G1000, I might be a bit concerned. As there are a lot of avgas DA40's out there, there will be a demand for parts for many years. If Diamond doesn't fulfill the need, someone probably will. I assume parts sales are a big profit center, but maybe not?

Or maybe this was simply an oversight on the part of the Diamond webmaster.

Krea Ellis
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia"
DA40-XLS Sold!
RV-10 under construction
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

First they build the best 4 seater plane in history, then they ruin it by adding a truck engine in the front and then they dump 1000+ happy customers just because someone does not like AVGAS...
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

krellis wrote:Welcome to the world of Diamond Aircraft orphan owners. My A1 was orphaned years ago. eter Maurer (Diamond Canada President) told me when my airplane was 10 years old "you can't expect us to support an airplane we no longer produce". I told him I strongly disagreed with his position. Christian Dries told me a couple of years ago that the North American avgas market was dead to him. He may be "brilliant", but I think he is a rich guy with ADD, who doesn't really have to answer to anyone. Hence the attitude and "squirrel" mentality. Good news I guess is that DA40's will still be produced in one form or another, so parts should be available and the IO-360M1A (and Lycoming) will be around for a while. I would wonder about upgrades to the G1000, especially with the ADS-B deadline looming. Given Diamond's upgrade history for the G1000, I might be a bit concerned. As there are a lot of avgas DA40's out there, there will be a demand for parts for many years. If Diamond doesn't fulfill the need, someone probably will. I assume parts sales are a big profit center, but maybe not? Or maybe this was simply an oversight on the part of the Diamond webmaster.
Another nail in the classic DA40 coffin.

Disgraceful comment from Diamond Canada not seeing any responsibility to support an aircraft no longer produced. Cessna just emailed my IA engineering plans related to a vertical rudder reinforcement for an aircraft that hasn't been produced for, what, 60 years? No charge, by the way.

Dries' comment is disingenuous -- at least. They might have facilitated a MoGas transition and/or worked on a useful powerplant (cf. the NG half solution).

It might be interesting to look into Diamond's leadership history. Until a few years ago, it appeared that someone with vision was running Diamond for Dries. That's just a guess.

Someone will fulfill the need for orphaned Diamonds, but at a price. I can get a replacement panel face for my Dakota but it is made from a mold based on a used piece removed from an aircraft. Then there is the price.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

More on more I love my steam gage DA40. I won't be beholding to Diamond for avionics upgrades.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

rwtucker wrote: Someone will fulfill the need for orphaned Diamonds, but at a price. I can get a replacement panel face for my Dakota but it is made from a mold based on a used piece removed from an aircraft. Then there is the price.
There's more to be done than just fulfill the needs.
Owner made parts are legal per FAA rules, so don't worry about such spares.

In my opinion the DA40-180 is the best plane Diamond ever designed. The DA20 is a close second.
Both designs deserve a midlife kicker.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Antoine in my opinion, you're opinion is a fact. The -180 is more reliable, easier to maintain, better looking and most importantly of all, safer than the NG. Granted the FADEC NG is easier to start.

Just because it's not on a brand new website doesn't mean Diamond stopped producing the -180 but it really would be a shame if it's true. I keep thinking someday I'll end up with a DA-62 when I no longer need the speed of a turboprop but if the -180 is dead, unless there is a really compelling reason, I think I might be done with Diamond.
Pancho
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Willard
Airports: KFGU

Post by Pancho »

FYI....I corresponded with the Plant in London yesterday. Production of the Lycoming DA40 is suspended.
Pancho
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Willard
Airports: KFGU

Post by Pancho »

It is beyond my understanding why Diamond does not handle this in a professional manner. This major change to their bread and butter offering should be acknowledged on the website. Also, there should be a statement regarding their support of the hundreds of Lycoming powered airframes in the field. No matter what their support is, it needs to be stated. Like Paul above, I am a prime candidate for a -62. However, this bungling, and the absence of any communication on the G1000 ads/b compliance efforts on the DA40 really give me pause. Diamond....take note of how the "C" word companies support their product and owners planes of past and present.
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

This is why I sold my DA40. I could see this lack of support a mile off.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.