KAP 140 - G1000 Issue

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tom Davis
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N476PS
Airports: KOCW

KAP 140 - G1000 Issue

Post by Tom Davis »

In December my G1000 audio panel went bad. I took it to an avionics shop who determined the problem was with the audio panel and replaced it.

Shortly thereafter it went bad again and I took it back to the same place who replaced the first replacement with another panel supplied by Garmin under warranty.

Shortly thereafter, it went bad again just as I took my plane in for its annual. Since this had happened 3 times in short succession, my mechanic and his folks started talking to the Garmin folks and sent the panel to Garmin to see if they could tell what was causing the problem. According to Garmin, it looked to them like something in the autopilot was sending too much current to the panel and that was causing issues with the audio panel. Garmin sent a new audio panel, but this time it was not under warranty since it was not the audio panel that was the root problem.

There is some question about whether the problem is in the autopilot or in the wiring etc between the autopilot and the audio panel.

Have any of you hand anything like this and if so, what did you do to fix it? This is getting expensive.

Thanks.
cavumac
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: mac
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N127US
Airports: KSDL

Re: KAP 140 - G1000 Issue

Post by cavumac »

I've got a 2008 DA42 with the KAP 140 and have not experienced your issue, nor any others actually but I'm under 400 hrs on my DA42. Hope you get it resolved without much more expense.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: KAP 140 - G1000 Issue

Post by smoss »

I would call the Diamond tech guys. They are very friendly and helpful, and may be able to help you troubleshoot.
Steve
DA40 XL