Any DA-42 misfuelings?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Re: Any DA-42 misfuelings?

Post by ingramleedy »

ingramleedy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:07 pm Is there any acceptable amount of avgas mixed into Jet fuel? What happens? Or What could happen? Most of the comments I could find are about getting Jet-A fuel in AvGas vs the other way around.

The reason is the other day on a rental (Austro Engine), the sump of Jet-A had a hint of blue -- it was very very faint if so or was just some weird light from the surroundings... I had watched the fuel truck fuel it up Jet-A too.

Engine ran fine, no issues. I did watch the guages very closely --- I did not see any over heating or anything unusual.

I wondered if anyone else has had similar experience?
jet-a-color-blue.jpg
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

The plane never flew again with those engines so I presume it was on the ground. I no longer remember the details
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

These mis-fueling episodes have all led to crashes and sometimes death:

100LL into a diesel
Jet-A into a Lycoming/Continental
Diesel exhaust fluid (aka AdBlue) into a turbine engine

Nobody is safe from potential error by line personnel.

I always fuel upon arrival and watch the entire process:
1) correct truck
2) correct grounding point
3) add the amount of fuel I want (top up or XX gallons)
4) properly close the caps

It's totally annoying and can easily take 15-20min. It would be nice to be able to say "fill'er up" and walk away, but that doesn't seem to be a viable option.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

There's nothing you could do about the third mistake. That was something happening where the fuel trucks were set up. And it wasn't an error by the line personnel fueling the plane, so sadly you couldn't connect it to the people you would have been interacting with.

I have never seen someone ground the plane wrong. Have you had to correct people on that?

My new SOP is to make sure the right truck has pulled up and the hose starts to unwind. Unbelievably, I have, since that first mis-fueling, watched the 110LL truck pull up, but the line guy at the plane waved them away.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Colin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:14 pm There's nothing you could do about the third mistake. That was something happening where the fuel trucks were set up. And it wasn't an error by the line personnel fueling the plane, so sadly you couldn't connect it to the people you would have been interacting with.
True.
Colin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:14 pmI have never seen someone ground the plane wrong. Have you had to correct people on that?
Yes, frequently with the DA40NG. First they want to clip to the muffler. Then even after being directed to the grounding point, they will want to clip onto the OAT sensor. The DA62 will be easy for them since the muffler is the grounding point.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Boatguy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:10 pm
Colin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:14 pmI have never seen someone ground the plane wrong. Have you had to correct people on that?
Yes, frequently with the DA40NG. First they want to clip to the muffler. Then even after being directed to the grounding point, they will want to clip onto the OAT sensor. The DA62 will be easy for them since the muffler is the grounding point.
Last weekend in Ft. Lauderdale the line girl went to hook it to the nose gear. I pointed to the tail pipe. She frowned disapprovingly, apparently not wanting to scratch it. I kind of laughed and then pointed to the wing tie-down, clearly marked with a grounding symbol. She shook her head and attached it there.
IMG_4223.JPG
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

The main problem I have with the DA62 is that I always top off the mains. If they really top off, the tanks will vent and make a huge mess on the ground.

My other line of defense is to check the fuel receipt. That's probably never wrong, because they have to track each truck in the system.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Yes, it was the receipt at the desk that saved me from taking off with 110LL in the tanks.

I really wish Diamond had a tab in there which meant "above this it is going to spit out onto the ground." I doubt I would ever fill past that. It's an extra gallon or two and I can't remember the last time that made a difference in when I was landing.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Colin wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:12 pmI really wish Diamond had a tab in there which meant "above this it is going to spit out onto the ground." I doubt I would ever fill past that. It's an extra gallon or two and I can't remember the last time that made a difference in when I was landing.
In effect, Diamond has a "tab" in the fuel filler opening: There's a vertical metal tab into which the wire that secures the fuel cap attaches. We trained the local FBO fuel service guys to "just get the tab wet" when fueling. This prevents overfilling and fuel coming out of the fuel vents on the bottom of the wings, yet still puts 25 gallons into each main fuel tank.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Boatguy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:10 pm The DA62 will be easy for them since the muffler is the grounding point.
You, sir, are an optimist. 😉

The grounding point decal on my DA62 is partially scraped off where a lineperson took the graphic literally and tried to clip the grounding cable to it.