Aircraft Tug

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Steve D
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: ZS-SDW
Airports: FALA

Aircraft Tug

Post by Steve D »

Since I moved to a private hangar, I find that I am doing very little "spontaneous" flying. The truth is that I cannot get my 42 in and out of the hangar on my own so I have to arrange a posse every time I feel like flying. I have explored various options. The very tight fit requires accurate placement and once in, the aircraft has to swivel through 45%. There is also a slope up to the hangar and tricky door rails to traverse. These factors have led me to consider and then discard a winch as well as a 4 * 4 Quad bike.

I have found a remote controlled portable tug made by AC Airtech in California which looks like it might fit the bill. Has anyone on the forum any experience with one of these or similar on either a DA40 or 42?

https://acairtechnology.com/products.as ... ModelID=32
Steve Dewsbery
CPL IR NR
Johannesburg, South Africa
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Aircraft Tug

Post by Colin »

I have not seen that one in action, Steve, but I know that Angel City Flyers in Long Beach uses one. It looks a LOT like this one that I found on the web: http://www.tracetowbots.com/products/heavy-duty-towbot

Pretty sure it is not cheap, but I've watched them yank a DA42 around with it without the slightest problem.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I don't have any experience with a remote controlled tug (however remote control sounds potentially dangerous; I sure hope somebody remotely controlling their drone doesn't take over your DA42!).

To get our DA42 in and out of our hangar we use the tried-and-true gasoline engine Powertow 40-EZ model:
http://www.powertow.com/40-EZ-Aircraft- ... _p_14.html
It's easily controlled by a single person, although it sometimes takes a bit of an effort to start the gasoline engine when the temps are below freezing. They are popular enough that it's often possible to buy one used (like we did).

Powertow sells a Diamond DA42 set of adapter pins with a plastic/nylon protective coating that's perfectly sized for the DA42 nose wheel holes. The only downside is that the Powertow doesn't run on JetA, so I have to keep a can of gasoline handy in the hangar (I used to be able to run it on avgas when we had our DA40).

I yearn for the days when I could push/pull our much lighter DA40 out of the hanger without using any mechanical assistance. ;)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

http://shop.greatlakesdiamond.com/pilot ... -da42.html

I've seen this work up front and in person. It is slick.
If I had a 42 this would be my choice.
It does everything you would need it to do.
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Airports:

Post by Aart »

I have the Trace Towbot for my DA42. Expensive, but absolutely brilliant. Especially for tight spots it is really good to be able to stand at the point where your aircraft is closest to something else. Of course you need to get accustomed to remote controllers, like in RC aircraft control
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I bought the PowerTow 40 about 15 years ago to move my C310 around in Minnesota. I use that very same PowerTow on my DA42 and still love it. In winter, when cold, it may take 2 or even 3 pulls on the rope to start. In summer one pull always does it. I have said it before, and I continue to believe, this was the best investment I have made in aviation.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

All the solutions mentioned above are good, and each does something better than the others.

A customer used one of the Trace TowBot units to move his DA42 and his Citation. It is a little scary the first time you drive one, but they work well on pretty much any aircraft with an exposed nose gear (no wheel pants). A big benefit is being able to maneuver the aircraft well beyond the turning limits of the nose gear. The downside is obviously cost.

The Sidewinder towbar for the DA42 is a very nice unit, and it folds to fit in the nose baggage. It is very strong and well-made. Having a powered towbar with you at your destination can be a life (or back) saver with a plane as heavy as the DA42. The downside of the Sidewinder is that it is purpose-built for an aircraft type, and you can't use it to tow the plane across the field unless you're rocking a load bearing vest full of spare batteries.

The PowerTow from Northwest engineering is also a very good product if moving the plane in and out of the hangar is your only application. Sadly, Dave, they no longer make the 120V electric version, though you may occasionally see one pop up on ebay. Benefits: adaptors for many aircraft, strong, and able to move the plane across the field. Con's: you can't take it with you, and you have to maintain a lawnmower engine. Best bet there is to feed it 100LL since pump gas doesn't store well.

If using a golf cart or lawn tractor, you will give up a lot of maneuverability and possibly inflict excess wear on the transmission. If it's a straight shot in and out of the hangar, these will work well. A neighbor uses a commercial ZTR mower (Dixie Chopper), and figuring all the angles just makes my head hurt. It works for him, though.

Given that Steve is in SA, he's probably not concerned with snow, but if slippery ramps are an issue, then either the PowerTow (with tire chains) or a lawn tractor with the same would be the best bets.

-dan
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bartek
Aircraft Registration: D-GJHO
Airports: EPOM

Post by Bartek »

I am using Sidewinder (the one made out of battery drill, as per Tommy's description above). Happy with that. Battery last for some 200m of towing, so enough for a few getting in and outs. Maintenance is just recharging the detachable battery of a weight of pound/two. If needed - you can take this tug with you in the nose compartment.