3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KMMK

G1000 SD card slots

Post by Fred »

Figured this is a DA40 and DA42 item and used this form. I wanted to share my issue and resolution in case it helps others.

My Bottom SD card slot on the PFD on occasion would not load Obstacles and other databases. I noticed on the next cycle update the Read only tab on the SD card was missing. Likely fell off inside the PFD bottom slot.... I used tape to fool the write to the card to update the cards and checked for anything stuck in the PFD slot. I won't get into how to check the PFD as it should be done by a qualified Avionics Tech.

I spoke with a Garmin Rep and Engineer at Sun n Fun spring 2014 and he opened my eyes to how the G1000 works. The top slots are NO DIFFERENT than the bottoms in regards to the databases; the system can and does read your aircraft SD cards whether they are in the top or bottom slots. So until I have a real issue with the PDF the top slots are being used.

When updating the Jepp Nav data remove both aircraft cards and use the top slot with the SD card with the NAV data. The Terrain and NAV data write back to the G1000 memory after loading so after you update the PFD than the MFD you shutdown and place the aircraft cards back into the top slots.

If you log your flight data on a blank SD card the software does require the blank SD be placed in the MFD top slot. In my case I can use the TOP slot for the PFD and bottom for the MFD with the aircraft SD cards and still use a blank in the MFD to log flight data.
Fred F.
Home Airport: KMMK
ASEL IFR
DA40 XLS, Various other Pistons