5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Squeal in the intercom

Post by Rich »

The short description of a recent problem: A nasty squeal if the copilot position was enabled and its volume not shut all the way down. I figured a problem in the audio panel, so I shipped it off to Garmin last Wednesday. They got it back to me today, saying they didn't find any problem in it, but went ahead and brought it up to current spec. I plugged it back in - problem still there.

So, after trying to figure out what it could be without tearing the plane apart, I recalled an anomaly I "fixed" after my last flight before the problem was discovered: a loose pilot-headset jack. That is, the outside nut was a bit loose and I tightened it. Probably in the process I rotated the jack a wee bit. So today I loosened that nut and rotated the jack CCW and viola! the squeal went away. So a bit of rotation probably cause a contact between the pilot and copilot output jacks - in all likelihood a ground loop (electrical, not Pitts-special style :D ).

I found by wiggling this jack's position a bit I could induce the squeal to come and go. I (carefully) this time retightened that formerly loose nut after twisting the jack a bit further CCW and all is normal now.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5