2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Al
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N858DF
Airports: KTOA

DA20-A1 Exhaust Springs

Post by Alex »

If your DA20-A1 is anything like mine, about every 3 months you find half of a rusted out exhaust spring under your plane while doing a preflight. These pesky springs are not expensive, but they have to put up with a lot and don't last very long. Here are a couple of tips I'm using to get more life out of them...

1. Don't scratch them when putting them on. I used to use pliers to pull the hooks over the mounting points, but found that the little scratches caused quick failures. Use about 3' of doubled-over parachute cord instead. You won't scratch anything or cuss half as much in the process of getting them into place.

2. Stretch your new springs over a row of nails on a 2x4 so you can give them a coat of high-temperature paint. It won't make much difference on the springs that actually come in contact with the exhaust pipes, but it will extend the life of your cooler ones.

P.S. I just checked the updated FAA database on Rotax-powered DA20-A1's in the US, we're down to 36 left.
Al GIbbs
DA20-A1 N858DF KTOA
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: DA20-A1 Exhaust Springs

Post by krellis »

I don't know if it is an approved method of installing - but some recommend a bead of high temp RTV along the springs once they are installed. The theory is it reduces vibration and therefore stress. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this given the tight confines of the A1 installation. I've never had a spring break, but I end up replacing a couple each annual.

There are stainless steel springs available for the Rotax exhaust but they are not PMA'd for certified installations.

We use brazing rod with a hook in one end and two people to install the springs. No more cussing here either. I like the parachute cord idea, too.

If I can ever bring myself to sell our A1 it will probably be crated and sent to Europe where the A1's seem to sell for as much as a C1 does in North America.

Krea Ellis
DA-20-A1 N853DF