Crossing Appalachians west to east- tips anyone?

Any DA20 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Bingo3234
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Sean
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: C-GGUK
Airports: CYKZ

Crossing Appalachians west to east- tips anyone?

Post by Bingo3234 »

Help- I am planning a trip in my da20 from Ohio to Myrtle and looking for any tips or route info to cross the Appalachian mountain chain.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Re: Crossing Appalachians west to east- tips anyone?

Post by Tommy »

Fly high.
Be aware of mountain wave activity during high winds 40 kts. + @ 8,9,10,000' msl. and higher. I have experienced them at those levels. Quite an experience if you're not ready for them. Rotor activity if down low. Also, quite an experience if you're not ready. The Appalachians aren't the Rockies, but do not let that fool you.
If not prepared, take several changes of underwear. If prepared, take one or two. :D
Bingo3234
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Bingo3234 »

Tommy, thanks for the reply. I am planning to get as high as possible and hopefully maintain 3000 over the highest point in each sector. Have you crossed before and if so where did you make the pass?
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

I really have never picked any passes. Pretty much straight line from Cleveland to Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa area, Nantucket, Virginia Beach, Savanna, Carolina. It would probably be a good idea to read up a little bit about mountain flying. Again, it's not the Rockies, but it can and will bite you if you're complacent. The West half is the highest and strategically will give you the most problems if winds are high. Clear air turbulence can be a real eye opener.
You will love the trip. It's beautiful country. I would definitely make a couple of stops in some of the mountain airports.
Honestly, if winds are 50+, I probably would delay crossing. It's just no fun getting beat up.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Sean,

I frequently make the trip from Roanoke, VA to Toledo, OH - always between 8,000' and 10,000'.
I'm not sure where you are leaving from in Ohio - you may be a bit farther west of my usual route - but as long as you are above 7,000' you don't need to worry about terrain. And Tommy is right on about the mountain wave down here - I've had a few wild rides over northern VA and southern WV, but they are the exception rather than the rule. You will also notice a distinct lack of emergency landing options as compared to Ohio - especially through West Virginia. :shock:

Have a great trip!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Lslblues
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Type: NONE
Aircraft Registration: N472DS
Airports: KUDU

Post by Lslblues »

I flew from Knoxville to Raleigh about 2 weeks ago when winds were cranking 60+ knots from 330. I was flying at 11,000 feet with about 40 knot tailwind. The air was very stable so the mountain wave was mostly gentle. Every 3-4 minutes I'd hit a downdraft that would vary from minor to interesting. At one point I was doing 78 KIAS to maintain altitude during a downdraft. This continue almost all the way to Raleigh. No bumps, no turbulence, no nothing. The plane would just start pitching up to maintain altitude during the downward part of the wave.
Bingo3234
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Bingo3234 »

Thanks for the replies so far, this is certainly helpful and maybe I'm over thinking which route to take (Sandusky-North Mytle or may chose Clearwater). Provided I'm at 7500 or greater and the winds are not crazy (25+). Of course, as always, exercise caution and above all, common sence. This will be my first trip south of the boarder from Canada and I'm ecited to make the trip. My destination is still not baked and I'm open to suggestions...
Thanks again for the replies!
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Bingo3234 wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, this is certainly helpful and maybe I'm over thinking which route to take (Sandusky-North Mytle or may chose Clearwater). Provided I'm at 7500 or greater and the winds are not crazy (25+). Of course, as always, exercise caution and above all, common sence. This will be my first trip south of the boarder from Canada and I'm ecited to make the trip. My destination is still not baked and I'm open to suggestions...
Thanks again for the replies!
Living in Charlotte, I've made many trips to Grand Strand (north myrtle) and many trips over the mtns. I've yet to experience anything out of the ordinary crossing the mtns. Although we did have an instructor get caught in massive down drafts, on a personal flight, when he didn't head ATC warnings of turbulence. He was really shaken up. He actually cut his hand while fighting the controls and was bleeding. Didn't notice until after he was out and has no idea how it happened. Scary! So, as mentioned above, there IS that potential on the wrong day.

But, as you stated, you are probably over thinking it. As long as the winds aren't crazy it should be great fun! The issue I run into occasionally while VFR are clouds over the mtns, only to have it sunny and clear everywhere else.

9,000 range is going to put you well above everything. 7000 or even less is completely doable VFR on a nice day. Here is a video of me flying my DA40 around the Blue Ridge. Light turbulence the whole flight, but you can see this is nowhere close to the Rockies. :)

HD Fullscreen: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzz-9q1fnA
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzz-9q1fnA[/youtube]
The pic at the top of the DAN forums comes from the 3:50 mark, overflying Mountain Air.

If you land at Grand Strand, stay in North Myrtle. Nice places on the North end, it really sucks trying to traverse North/South in that town, at least in summer. I often land there and walk the mile to the beach, with the kids. Good FBO too, watch for xwinds and standard beach banner/sightseeing traffic.
Last edited by Gnomad on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

+1 for Grand Strand (KCRE). A great airport. I make trips there to visit Randal at the FBO, who will wash and wax a DA40 for $200 and make it look like new!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Rockies.jpg
Sorry, but I couldn't help to post this pic. Speaking of the Rockies, we were at 16,000 feet heading west on our way to Seattle this summer.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com