First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Re: DIY - Rudder Cable Replacement

Post by Moonshine »

Doing the cables right now
1300 hrs time in service, first 1200 in a flight school
Guess how many of the cables show any kind of wear?
None. They are all perfect.
Very, very pissed.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

David B wrote:the need to throw perfectly new cables in the garbage.
I give mine to a shorter plane so they can cut off the ends and use them.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

My “new” ride turns five in July, so I was planning to have Glenn make the cable swap while she is already on the rack for the annual inspection. However, Glenn’s recommendation was to defer this work as long as possible in the hope that RealSoonNow™ it will not be necessary. Not announcing anything, just saying…

The only Diamond aircraft that Glenn has seen with worn cables are in high-hour (>2-3k) flight schools. In addition to high hours, they probably were not diligent about keeping the tubes lubricated. Crucially, on the rare occasions that the wires needed replacement, so did the S-tubes.

The origin of this requirement is rooted in the nature of the certification process. Under the normal (but intense) pressure to launch the aircraft (just imagine the final “punch-list”!), it was simply easier and faster to agree to a worst-case replacement schedule than deal with a more nuanced recommendation. All it would take is for someone to formally note that one cannot visually inspect the cables, but there is no simple way to un-ring that bell…

Chris
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Chris B wrote:My “new” ride turns five in July, so I was planning to have Glenn make the cable swap while she is already on the rack for the annual inspection. However, Glenn’s recommendation was to defer this work as long as possible in the hope that RealSoonNow™ it will not be necessary. Not announcing anything, just saying…
I have heard such rumors, too, within the past few months, so we will remain hopeful...
Chris B wrote:The only Diamond aircraft that Glenn has seen with worn cables are in high-hour (>2-3k) flight schools. In addition to high hours, they probably were not diligent about keeping the tubes lubricated. Crucially, on the rare occasions that the wires needed replacement, so did the S-tubes.
Those flight school birds also probably saw a lot of rudder pedal adjustments, maybe almost every flight, which didn't help the cable wear in the S-tubes, either!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

I heart from Diamond, that the time for rudder cable replacements will be over soon... The NG Models and maybe some of the later TDI's use a different type of stainless cables that can run "on condition" and does not need to be replaced every 5 years.

That was about time.... my buddy flies a bonanza... his cables are 40 years old and never had to be replaced...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I'm in the middle of my 2nd "owner-assisted annual" on our DA40, and this time we're in the middle of the dreaded rudder cable replacement process now that the plane just turned 5 years old. I did succeed in getting all of the seats out of the plane, including the rears (see photo).

So far the hardest part seems to be maneuvering the large crimping tool into the interior. We succeeded in replacing the 4 rear cables today -- tomorrow we tackle the front 4 cables attached to the rudder pedals.

I expect we're going to have to test-fly the aircraft and re-adjust the cable turnbuckles under the back seat in order to ensure the plane flies straight with feet on the floor. Fortunately the newer DA40s have access panels built into the rear seat pan, so I should be able to avoid removing the rear seats a 2nd time.
Attachments
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Finished up the rudder cable replacement, got the plane all put back together, and test flew the plane in the dark last night. :shock: The good news is that the plane still flies with no obvious yaw and the "ball" is still centered in straight and level flight (it also helps that our plane's nose gear fairing is usually straight) with feet off the rudder pedals. We spent quite a bit of time adjusting the turnbuckles while visually inspecting that the rudder was straight.

A big thanks to Rick for his instructions and photos that kicked off this thread. His cable length measurements in particular were extremely helpful. I'm amazed that he was able to do the work by himself, since it absolutely took 2 of us to install (and crimp the sleeves on the ends of) the new cables.

Here's a photo of the old cables (all 8 of them, cut into pieces) -- which of course were in ABSOLUTELY PRISTINE CONDITION before they were cut and removed. :x :x :x What a waste of time, effort, and money! Now that the DA42 rudder cables no longer must be replaced every 5 years, it's ridiculous that DA40 owners have to put up with this. C'mon Diamond, fix this!!!
Attachments
IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Last edited by CFIDave on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

CFIDave wrote:Finished up the rudder cable replacement, got the plane all put back together, and test flew the plane in the dark last night. :shock: The good news is that the plane still flies with no obvious yaw and the "ball" is still centered in straight and level flight (it also helps that our plane's nose gear fairing is usually straight) with feet off the rudder pedals. We spent quite a bit of time adjusting the turnbuckles while visually inspecting that the rudder was straight.

A big thanks to Rick for his instructions and photos that kicked off this thread. His cable length measurements in particular were extremely helpful. I'm amazed that he was able to do the work by himself, since it absolutely took 2 of us to install (and crimp the sleeves on the ends of) the new cables.

Here's a photo of the old cables (all 8 of them, cut into pieces) -- which of course were in ABSOLUTELY PRISTINE CONDITION before they were cut and removed. :x :x :x What a waste of time, effort, and money! Now that the DA42 rudder cables no longer must be replaced every 5 years, it's ridiculous that DA40 owners have to put up with this. C'mon Diamond, fix this!!!
The requirement to replace these cables at this ridiculously short interval places DA40 pilots at risk due to possible inadvertent damage to other structures or errors during replacement of the cables.
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

I've already had mine replaced once and am really crossing my fingers that this requirement goes away or is greatly extended. It's a shame looking at all those really thick perfect cables laying on the ground.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
David B
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: C-GSPB
Airports: CNU4

Post by David B »

I'm a big believer in the old adage that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That being said, I have been on Diamonds case over this issue, and a few others, since I purchased my DA40 4 years ago. Each owner may be doing this, but if not, I strongly recommend ALL of us call, write, or e-mail Diamond about this issue and let them know that we, as customers, demand that they get this time issue changed. There is more than enough evidence to support the fact that we should not be changing out new cables with new cables. So far I've been pleased with how they respond to customer concerns, but this and the fuel hose issue need to be addressed immediately.