4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Flood Light Rheostat Function

Post by Tim H »

On my 2005 DA40 (G1000), there are two rheostats, one for the instruments, and one labeled "flood light". The rheostat for the instruments works fine (controls the instrument brightness from off to fully bright). The one for the flood light (which controls the light on the underside of the panel above the G1000's), does not dim. It is either on or off even though it is controlled by a rheostat. Is anyone else able to dim their flood lights?
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Flood Light Rheostat Function

Post by Rick »

In my '04, I'm pretty sure the flood lights dimmed, but I can't remember for sure. The 2 dimmers are programmable in the G1000 to control the brightness of the PFD, the MFD, the key backlights, and the little arrow markers on each key. You can set each of those 4 different functions to be controlled by either the photocell, or by either dimmer, or a combination of photocell and dimmer, all controllable within the G1000 configuration. But, I think the flood lights are hardwired to the right dimmer knob, if my memory is correct.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Kurt h
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Post by Kurt h »

Rick wrote:In my '04, I'm pretty sure the flood lights dimmed, but I can't remember for sure. The 2 dimmers are programmable in the G1000 to control the brightness of the PFD, the MFD, the key backlights, and the little arrow markers on each key. You can set each of those 4 different functions to be controlled by either the photocell, or by either dimmer, or a combination of photocell and dimmer, all controllable within the G1000 configuration. But, I think the flood lights are hardwired to the right dimmer knob, if my memory is correct.
Rick,,
I have a 2004 G1000 as well, with the latest ver 321.22. Do you know how to configure to allow the dimmer to control screen brightness? I currently have to go several steps through the menu to get to the screen brightness adjustment via the FMS knob.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Kurt h wrote:Rick, I have a 2004 G1000 as well, with the latest ver 321.22. Do you know how to configure to allow the dimmer to control screen brightness? I currently have to go several steps through the menu to get to the screen brightness adjustment via the FMS knob.
Any shop familiar with the G1000 should be able to make the change for you. Or, if you're not opposed to poking around in the maintenance and configuration mode, PM me and I'll send you the procedure.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

I think we are talking about 2 different things. There are the panel lights for night flight that are controlled by knobs at the top left of the panel and they do dim by turning either one of them.

The second is the G1000 displays that dim by pressing the menu function on the PFD and selecting the % of brightness you prefer.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim H »

I believe the panel lights (controlled by the two knobs at the top left of the panel) are independent of the G1000 controls. My question is does the right knob (labled "flood lights) control brightness or just turn the flood lights on and off? On mine, it just turns the lights on and off, there is no brightness control.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Graham wrote:I think we are talking about 2 different things. There are the panel lights for night flight that are controlled by knobs at the top left of the panel and they do dim by turning either one of them.

The second is the G1000 displays that dim by pressing the menu function on the PFD and selecting the % of brightness you prefer.
My point was that you can (also) control the dimming of the G1000 screens (and button backlights) using the two dimmer knobs at the top left of the panel, if you configure your G1000 to do so. Personally, I find it easier to adjust the screen brightness using the dimmer then to use the G1000 menu function.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Tim H wrote:My question is does the right knob (labled "flood lights) control brightness or just turn the flood lights on and off? On mine, it just turns the lights on and off, there is no brightness control.
The dimmers should control the flood light and panel lighting levels - and I'm pretty sure this is how it worked in the 2 DA40's I've flown. From the DA40 maintenance manual:

B. Instrument Panel Flood Lighting
A 115 V AC foil type light strip makes the instrument flood light. The intensity of the light is controlled by a dimmer switch located on the left side of the instrument panel. Turn the dimmer switch fully counter-clockwise to turn the flood light off. Turn the dimmer switch clockwise to turn the flood light on and to set the level of lighting that you require. The light strip is held in place under the anti-glare panel with double sided tape. A solid state inverter supplies the 115 V AC current and the system is protected by a circuit-breaker located on the right side of the instrument panel.

C. Instrument Lighting
The instrument lighting is controlled by a dimmer switch mounted on the left side of the instrument panel. Turn the dimmer switch fully counter-clockwise to turn the instrument lights off. Turn the dimmer switch clockwise to turn the instrument lights on and to set the level of lighting that you require. The system is protected by a circuit-breaker located on the right side of the instrument panel.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Tim H »

Thank you Rick!!!

Now I need to figure out why my rheostat does not work. Strange that it functions as an on / off switch but not as a dimmer. If it were broken, it seems to me it would not come on at all.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Tim H wrote:Thank you Rick!!!

Now I need to figure out why my rheostat does not work. Strange that it functions as an on / off switch but not as a dimmer. If it were broken, it seems to me it would not come on at all.
The dimmer and the switch are electrically separate units, so it would be possible for the dimmer to be shorted but the switch ok...
You might be able to swap connections between the 2 dimmers just to test them - I can't remember if there is enough wire to do that, though. You might have to pull one dimmer out to try this.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)