4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

STC for MOGAS

Post by Joey »

Does anybody have a STC for Mogas operations in the US? Kai, is your STC for worldwide use?
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: STC for MOGAS

Post by Kai »

Joey,

My DA40F is a model which has only been produced 25 times and has a carbureted engine which had a MoGas STC. I wouldn't know why somewhere in the world I should not be allowed to fly the DA40 within its operating limits which now include the use of MoGas. If you were referring to whether you could use a Petersen MoGas STC also outside of the US, read this, please:

http://www.autofuelstc.com/autofuelstc/ ... e_USA.html

If you are interested in running your DA40 on MoGas, I would look into other issues.

1. Lycoming seems to approve the use of MoGas for certain engines since Juli 2010. Now, depending on how you understand the recent developments from Lycoming, you can fly your injected DA40 already with unleaded automotive fuel, see table B-2 of the following document: http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support ... I1070Q.pdf I am not sure if I understood this document correctly, but it seems you can already use MoGas to run a Lycoming IO-360-M1A.

2. Alcohol. You need to check on how much alcohol is contained in your MoGas. Acceptable range is between 0% and 5 %, depending on whom you ask.

3. Airframe. Now the next question I would have, if you need an STC or any other kind of approval for the DA40's airframe. The low wing configuration is inclined to produce vapor locks (which I never encountered) and the fuel hoses might not be approved for MoGas. It would be interesting to get DAI to look into this.
Attachments
mogaslycoming.jpg
mogaslycoming.jpg (123.95 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Kai wrote:STC also outside of the US, read this, please:
http://www.autofuelstc.com/autofuelstc/ ... e_USA.html
1. Lycoming seems to approve the use of MoGas for certain engines since Juli 2010. Now, depending on how you understand the recent developments from Lycoming, you can fly your injected DA40 already with unleaded automotive fuel, see table B-2 of the following document: http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support ... I1070Q.pdf I am not sure if I understood this document correctly, but it seems you can already use MoGas to run a Lycoming IO-360-M1A.

Kai,
I visited autofuelstc.com but I didn't find Diamond DA40-180 among the approved airframes. They say the list is not exshaustive though. Lycoming's Service Instruction clearly states that you need an airframe STC.
Kai wrote:2. Alcohol. You need to check on how much alcohol is contained in your MoGas. Acceptable range is between 0% and 5 %, depending on whom you ask..
Lycoming's Service Instructions clearly states NO ETHANOL. I am not sure I could find that in Belgium. What is your policy as far as ethanol concentration with your DA40F ?
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Jean wrote:Lycoming's Service Instructions clearly states NO ETHANOL. I am not sure I could find that in Belgium. What is your policy as far as ethanol concentration with your DA40F ?
No Ethanol at all? or maybe up to 1%? Not even in the winter? Well, quite frankly: I have used autofuel only in Spain, Germany and Thailand and have an Ethanol tester which I bought with the STC from Petersen. In Spain, I have never found Ethanol. In Germany I just refilled at airports. Their MoGas is tested and does not contain or not more than 1% of Ethanol. And in Thailand I managed to buy Shell V-Power which I have tested and couldn't find any Ethanol.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: gsontheimer
Aircraft Registration: N937DS
Airports: EDHL

Post by gsontheimer »

I asked Diamond Germany about the MOGAS STC. They do not expect a STC for the DA40 due to the zero Alcohol content requirement. Such a fuel is no longer available, they say. The fuel system of the DA40 would be capable of handling the Ethanol content, but the Lycoming STC can not be complied with.
Gerhard

N937DS: DA40.992 (2008 XLS)
FAA: ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI
EASA: CPL(A)-IR, FI(A), IRI, FE(A), IRE(A)
Cirrus TCI