3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KMMK

Diamond: Gust lock fabric torn

Post by Fred »

My Guss lock that came with my XLS worked for a few months before breaking. If you had the fabric tear around the top rivets you should try the below steps to make it last years.

Get the Guss lock looking the way it should and use safety wire (very thin but strong wire) and wrap the wire 2-3 times around the top of the Guss lock just above the highest rivet. Start with a couple inches extra wire before wrapping; cut the wire and wrap the two loose ends together and tuck underneath the fabric so nobody get cuts handling.

The fabric will always stay in place and no tension is placed on the top rivets.

Let me know if a picture would help! It's been 3 years for mine without any further issues.

Fred
KeithR
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: 40.791
Airports: KPUJ

Re: Diamond: Guss lock fabric torn

Post by KeithR »

In addition, the stick-on rubber padding on the control stick end started coming off. I removed it all, gave it a good cleaning and dipped it in Plasti Dip several times.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Keith,

Our gust lock has the same problem - the padding came off. I will try your Plasti Dip idea - that sounds like a great solution!

The other mod I made to my gust lock was to make it longer so I don't have to move the rudder pedals between flights. I sawed it in half, and then inserted a piece of aluminum broom handle cut to the proper length. The broom handle OD matched the gust lock ID so it was a nice tight fit. A little silver spray paint, and it looks just like the factory lock again, only longer.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I haven't got around to this idea yet but my plan is to take an old crutch and use the adjustable leg as an extension to the gust lock. That way you can extend or retract the lock as needed. I just need to learn to weld aluminum.

Another idea from the EAA magazine is to make an old crutch into a light weight tow bar that you can break down to a smaller size.
Rick wrote:Keith,

Our gust lock has the same problem - the padding came off. I will try your Plasti Dip idea - that sounds like a great solution!

The other mod I made to my gust lock was to make it longer so I don't have to move the rudder pedals between flights. I sawed it in half, and then inserted a piece of aluminum broom handle cut to the proper length. The broom handle OD matched the gust lock ID so it was a nice tight fit. A little silver spray paint, and it looks just like the factory lock again, only longer.
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Airports:

Post by greg »

Rick wrote:The other mod I made to my gust lock was to make it longer so I don't have to move the rudder pedals between flights. I sawed it in half, and then inserted a piece of aluminum broom handle cut to the proper length. The broom handle OD matched the gust lock ID so it was a nice tight fit. A little silver spray paint, and it looks just like the factory lock again, only longer.
Rick,
I don't suppose you remember what the internal diameter of the gust lock is? I need to make a mod like this pretty soon, but I'd prefer to get the extension tube before I cut the lock (knowing how long it takes me to complete a job, I don't really want everything flapping in the breeze until then).
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

I remember reading this thread a couple of years ago and I went ahead, sacrificed a broom and cut the gust lock in half to insert a part of the broom handle into it. The broom handle happened to be a perfect fit (Vileda brand). A very useful mod.

If that hadn't worked out, my plan was to head out to the hardware store and find a piece of metal tubing or wood dowel to fit the gust lock. Turned out I didn't need to.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

greg wrote:
Rick wrote:The other mod I made to my gust lock was to make it longer so I don't have to move the rudder pedals between flights. I sawed it in half, and then inserted a piece of aluminum broom handle cut to the proper length. The broom handle OD matched the gust lock ID so it was a nice tight fit. A little silver spray paint, and it looks just like the factory lock again, only longer.
Rick,
I don't suppose you remember what the internal diameter of the gust lock is? I need to make a mod like this pretty soon, but I'd prefer to get the extension tube before I cut the lock (knowing how long it takes me to complete a job, I don't really want everything flapping in the breeze until then).
Sorry Greg, but I don't remember the diameter. I can try to measure it next time I am at the airport. It was just the perfect size for a tight fit.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

The gust lock tubing is 1" with 0.04" wall thickness.

So the tubing ID is 0.92" (23.37 mm).

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Adjustable Gust Lock modification

Post by Chris B »

In 2012 Phil suggested the idea of an adjustable gust lock (link), so I was inspired to try this using a trekking pole on sale from REI.

Here are the results:
Gust lock with telescoping insert.JPG
Gust lock detail - 1 of 3.JPG
The inserts are Delrin.
Gust lock detail - 2 of 3.JPG
One stainless screw secures each insert.
Gust lock detail - 3 of 3.JPG
The latch on this Black Diamond trekking pole is incredibly robust, but easy to manage.

I have a small wood lathe, so trimming the inserts to fit the tubing was straightforward. The tricky bit was boring holes for the poles. That required two new drill bits - but I always have room for more tools! :D

This gust lock works great. However, since I am the only one who flies the plane, a fixed-length version (e.g., wooden rod) would work just as well, and be considerably easier to make! ;)

For the deteriorating rubber end, I used a self-adhesive anti-skid pad from Home Depot. This trims easily with scissors, and does not slip or mar the control stick.
Gust lock with anti-skid rubber pad.JPG
Chris
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Moved to DA40 Cat.