Tempe, AZ area airports

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Tempe, AZ area airports

Post by smoss »

Look for advice from people native to the area. I will be flying to ASU frequently from Las Vegas, and wondering what the ideal stop would be considering car rental ease, fly-in and parking ease, and road traffic/distance to ASU. I have been to most of the places except FFZ and IWA.

SDL is the shortest flight, easy ramp parking, but super pricey fuel if needed at Atlantic--car rental is easy Hertz, but Atlantic now randomly charges nothing to a lot of fees, person dependent. I have driven from SDL to Tempe area several times during no-traffic and it's not bad, but seems I've gotten lucky.

PHX was easy to fly into, but getting out on a busy night took me quite a while to get a squak for a VFR departure one time (like 15+ minutes), and just taxing to the end of the runway for departure took quite a while! It's the closest to the ASU, but the downside is the best FBO was Cutter, and the ramp is pretty busy. They always want to move my plane after marshalling in, despite calling ahead and asking them to park me where I'll be for the day/night. They do have nice easy car rentals there, nice facility, and cookies, etc. Ramp fee was waived with fuel purchase (average priced).

Tried CHD last, and it was ok. About the same drive with no traffic as SDL. Quick and easy in, out, self parking, but no real FBO, just a flight school that holds the rental car for you. Not much in the way of amenities, a pretty slow to get me charged out for gas and parking. It was a hot day, and the walk in was unpleasant. The rental car was in the back lot--would have been really nice to have it pulled planeside.

Considering trying FFZ as an option, but not sure how difficult the ramp situation is. The map looks like the parking at Cunningham is way out of the way, I assume they usually tow there, and AvFlight had mixed reviews and almost no ramp space. I tried calling Cunningham to ask about parking, but got a new hire who read my some instructions of a sheet, so still no grasp of parking there. Estimates on traffic/driving time to ASU from there and any recommendations on the FBOs?

Thanks!
Steve
DA40 XL
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Tempe, AZ area airports

Post by michael.g.miller »

Hey Steve,

I fly into Phoenix a fair bit. I've spent significant time at DVT, PHX, and CHD. Here's my takeaway...

- SDL as you note is $$$$, I totally write it off
- PHX is generally pretty easy-in-easy-out, but I guess during rush hour it could have gotten busy. Cutter has been awesome, helping me out with rental cars when the entire city was sold out or $150 per day.
- CHD is great, but as you note, low frills. There actually is an FBO there (Chandler Air Service), but I agree it is not a luxury FBO like Cutter, and you may have to walk. Though if walking is the biggest deal, I'm sure you could coordinate with them to tow you. Of course watch out for flight training.
- P19 is another option, but I'm not sure if there's any transient parking. And there sure as heck is not a fancy FBO. So if you're not happy with CHD, P19 may be even worse!
- DVT is a great option for super cheap 100LL on the north side. And last I checked free parking at the terminal on the south side, if you pre-arrange. Do watch out for VERY intense flight training activity though. And it is not the most convenient to Tempe.

If I was visiting, I'd do either PHX or CHD. FFZ could work, but would be a bit far depending on traffic. PHX is definitely the closest if you are OK operating at a B airport. CHD definitely works but as you've found is no-frills.