3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Re: Jet shades installation

Post by Zebedee »

MackAttack wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:06 pm I have the newer JetShades in my DA62. With the exception of the pilot window, they fit pretty well out of the box. Still working on getting the pilot window sorted… but it’s close. I haven’t needed any clips on my install. I enlisted the help of two pilot friends who did all the other windows for me en route to OSH from Houston and we did the pilot window during a fuel stop in Dubuque. They help a lot during the Texas summer that’s for sure.
With the thinner V2 shades, were you able to tuck the shades behind window frame and they stay in place without clips

Did you keep the edge gasket on, or install without it

Did your instructions say to install as above, or with gasket and clips installed.

Thanks.

Jim
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

MackAttack wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:06 pm I have the newer JetShades in my DA62. With the exception of the pilot window, they fit pretty well out of the box. Still working on getting the pilot window sorted… but it’s close. I haven’t needed any clips on my install. I enlisted the help of two pilot friends who did all the other windows for me en route to OSH from Houston and we did the pilot window during a fuel stop in Dubuque. They help a lot during the Texas summer that’s for sure.
Are these really the Generation 2 JetShades? I heard that they were going to be released for the DA62 soon, but the website doesn't seem to indicate they are available yet.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I didn't ask specifically about the DA62, but when I spoke with the owner at Oshkosh it sounded like they had moved everything over to "Gen 2" now. Waiting for my DA42 shades to arrive... supposedly this week.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

Chris wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:11 pm I didn't ask specifically about the DA62, but when I spoke with the owner at Oshkosh it sounded like they had moved everything over to "Gen 2" now. Waiting for my DA42 shades to arrive... supposedly this week.
Thanks for the info. I'll shoot them an email and ask about the 62s as I'll be ordering some soon.
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N168
Airports: KEMT

Post by pete423 »

I received my ULTRA-Thins premium (GEN2) for my DA40NG. The front fits pretty well. The rears are a whole other story. First, they are not remotely close to fit. I lined them up and taped them to the window on the outside to see how much I needed to trim. It is at least 1/2". Secondly, it will not lay flat on the window from the outside without a crease which means even if I were to trim it to the exact size, it will have a crease. Has anybody installed the DA40NG/DA42 gen2 kit in the back with success?
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Yes they are the Gen 2 shades for sure. JetShades called me before they shipped them earlier this year and said they were shipping me the newer ones. I waited awhile to install them however. I have them tucked into the frame; no clips or edge gasket. Very clean installation. The instructions said to use the clips but that wasn’t necessary for me. The edge gaskets would require you to do some major trimming but you can do that if you want to be able to pop them in and out easily. I preferred just to install them and leave them. The pilot and copilot side windows aren’t the super dark versions (those go in the passenger windows), so I’m fine just leaving them in.

Cheers
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I just bought some static cling window tint film and cut them out myself. A little water soapy water and a squeegee to apply them. They will have bubbles at first but they will soon disappear. I applied them maybe 10 years ago and they have been perfect ever since.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

pete423 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:21 pm I received my ULTRA-Thins premium (GEN2) for my DA40NG. The front fits pretty well. The rears are a whole other story. First, they are not remotely close to fit. I lined them up and taped them to the window on the outside to see how much I needed to trim. It is at least 1/2". Secondly, it will not lay flat on the window from the outside without a crease which means even if I were to trim it to the exact size, it will have a crease. Has anybody installed the DA40NG/DA42 gen2 kit in the back with success?
My DA40 rear Ultrathins required very careful trimming, up to 1" in places. I had bought the original premiums, which fit very well out of the box, but swapped to the Ultrathins when I read about the delamination challenges of other pilots. I was disappointed with the poor fit, thinking there could never be that much variation in window sizes between aircraft to justify such conservative oversizing. After about an hour of repeated trimming and fitting, my shades stay in place with only the friction of the borders, but they are still slightly buckled due to the curvature of the windows.