4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Oxygen Concentrator

Post by dmloftus »

sedatedokc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:13 pm Is there anything I need to tell my local shop if I would like them to install this? I see for an example a 7.5 amp breaker mentioned above, is this something the shop will know, or what else do I need to mention to the shop? Wiring?
A decent shop should know what to do if you tell them the load you are driving. I have the 7.5A breaker at 28V, which is plenty of juice to drive the Inogen. The shop needs to determine (with your agreement) which bus they connect the source side of the breaker to. In my case, we agreed on the avionics bus. Southtec assessed there was plenty of extra capacity on that bus, and it made the outlet switchable with the Avionics switch (as opposed to connecting directly to the HOT Bus). Not sure how the DA42 wiring differs from my DA40 XLS.
The USB-C can be another matter depending on how much you want to drive. If you're talking 10-20W 5V USB-C to power an iPad, probably not a big deal. I have 2 dual Stratus USB ports (4 total) plus the 110 Watts for the Inogen and that poses no issue. If you want a USB-C PD output that can supply 100W to power a PC or other power-hungry device, a careful supply vs load calculation needs to be made and potential adjustments made to accommodate both.