1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Cary
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N502LA
Airports: KIWS

Re: Best Place for initial training

Post by ZeenJones »

Colin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:05 pm The last two people I sent toward Angel City did not have a good experience, which saddened me. They also had Ewing as their chief pilot for a little while and let him escape, which I consider a bad decision. I don't know what they could have done to keep him, but they should have done it.
Ewing was never Chief Pilot at Angel City Flyers. He had a relationship with Bay City Flyers that ended years ago.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Ewing told me in person that he was their chief pilot, in front of Seosamh Somers, standing on their ramp in Long Beach. But he might have misspoke.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
bayareacfi
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N264LA
Airports: KHWD

Post by bayareacfi »

Hi. If you're still looking for a DA62 to train in, we have one available for rent at PFC in KHWD which is on fleet insurance. It isn't on the website yet but I'd be happy to answer any questions in DM. I'm a CFII/MEI and the primary instructor on the aircraft.
Direct2 Air
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Toby
Aircraft Registration: N33KF
Airports: KBDN

Post by Direct2 Air »

Hey, crew. My company, Direct2, operates 3 Diamond DA62's on our Part 135 certificate in the Pacific Northwest and we provide management services, multi-engine in instruction, transition training, and recurrent training for DA62 owners. As an organization, we have thousands of hours of real world flying time in these aircraft, often operating them with full loads of people, over high terrain, and in winter weather. We are incredibly passionate about sharing the capabilities and limitations of these aircraft with new owners and sharing hard learned tips and tricks from the flight line. We are happy to host owners in our hangar in Bend Oregon (KBDN) where we carry Diamond and Austro parts and can take care of any required mx and submit Diamond warranty claims on your behalf. We have a preferred rate with Pronghorn Golf Resort which is eight minutes from the airport to provide great lodging while you train with us in Bend. If you'd rather fly at your home airport, we are happy to travel to you. I do most of the training (1100 hours in type) but if I'm not available we have a 5 other MEI's, all current part 135 PICs in the DA62 who can provide training.

John Ewing's Concise Guide to the DA62 is indeed fantastic as an initial learning tool as well as a reference guide to keep on your iPad in the aircraft.

-Toby Woods
Mile high
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: N628DC
Airports: Kfnt

Post by Mile high »

I did my DA62 training this past April in Orlando Fl at MyFlight. They have two DA62’s and qualified instructors. I also spent time in their da42 to get some basic critical engine failure training. I can highly recommend them to get your insurance hours.
cfiguy
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N623MB
Airports: KOAK

Post by cfiguy »

Colin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:51 am Ewing told me in person that he was their chief pilot, in front of Seosamh Somers, standing on their ramp in Long Beach. But he might have misspoke.
I visit this forum infrequently, but someone pointed out this thread and thought it might be helpful for me to clarify.

I remember meeting Colin and doing a DA42 flight out of Long Beach, where I had been helping out with a temporary CFI shortage for several days, teaching in the DA42.

I was indeed the Chief Pilot for Bay City Flyers (a branch of Angel City Flyers) for a few years, instructing in the DA40, DA42, DA62, and CE510. It was my good fortune to deliver several of the first DA62 aircraft from Canada to owners in the US. I left Bay City Flyers in 2018 after I became a designated pilot examiner for the Oakland FSDO. I recently retired from being a DPE, but continue to do a limited amount of flight instruction at KHWD and KOAK. Diamond DA40NG, DA42NG, and DA62 continue to be among my favorite aircraft.

Best regards,

John
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

(I'm glad I wasn't mis-remembering. John has been one of my inadvertent aviation mentors all the way back to when I found them via their blog posts and he was writing about flying little feeder flights for FedEx, before FedEx began paying their pilots starvation wages. On longer flights in my plane I often will re-read a section of the Twinstar book John wrote, which lives on my iPad Mini just in front of the instrument panel.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Jetblast
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: CGRHB
Airports: CYOW

Post by Jetblast »

I would highly recommend Ed McDonald in Edmonton.
I went to see him for ME and IFR training and it was great training and lots of fun.
He has an extensive background in training and a lifetime of flying.
He has hundred of hours on the DA62.

Ed: I'll stop here until I get the second brown envelope ;)