1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kristian
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GCLNB
Airports: EGSC

Advice re purchasing a 2007 DA40XL?

Post by kseger »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Have really enjoyed reading up on all the threads - thank you all for sharing so much wisdom!

I'm a UK based pilot (Cambridge) looking to fly around ~100hrs / yr, mostly for fun, in fair weather around the UK - although I also want to renew my restricted IR in whatever aircraft I get. I'm thinking of buying a ~2007 used DA40XL. I'm looking for sage advice on what I should be looking for / thinking about / be mindful of when evaluating the aircraft? How much do I need to fly it / what type of service should I book for it to know for sure what I'm getting into? Any good UK recommendations for this?

As a bit of background. I'm still a relatively new pilot - I have ~150hrs across PA28s, Cessnas and Cirruses with a restricted IR + night rating, and perhaps 100hrs in gliders on top. I could theoretically also go for a brand new NG - I test flew it and loved it - I'm just not sure I love it double the price of an XL. I don't mean to reignite the NG debate here - I'm actually fairly sold on it as an aircraft - but I'm not clear on how much more risk I'm taking with an older aircraft <1,000hrs and if the price differential could somehow be worth it.

All help and thoughts appreciated! And if there is anyone here with any kind of DA40 anywhere near Cambridge, UK - I'd love to get more time in it to get a better feel for the airplane - I've spent far to little time in it so far. Happy to pay costs + a lunch in exchange for some P2 time if available! DM me if so. Thanks in advance!

-k
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Advice re purchasing a 2007 DA40XL?

Post by Chris »

I think a 2007 DA40XL is a great option. I flew one for several years. The GFC700 autopilot is terrific. Run the weight and balance numbers for your missions since it's pretty easy to hit the rear CG limit if you're not careful. I don't know what the WAAS/SBAS situation is in the UK at the moment, but in the US, a 2007 XL which has been upgraded to WAAS will command a premium since it is very difficult to peform that upgrade now due to a lack of GIA63W units. Perhaps that's not as much of an issue in the UK.

All DA40s are a dream to fly, and the Lycoming XL will feel lighter and more nimble (and maybe feel more turbulence) than an NG. Maintenance expenses are generally very reasoanble for how nice of an airplane it is, IMO.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Congrats, hopefully, on joining the club. Behind my wife and kids, owning a 2008 DA40XLS has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'm sure many people will have lots of suggestions, and I strongly encourage you to dig deep in this site as I found it invaluable when searching for an aircraft, even more valuable after I bought one 3 years ago.
Like you, I considered a used DA40 vs the NG. For some, the NG is an absolutely fantastic decision. The technology with a FADEC-controlled diesel and the updated G1000 Nxi is incredible. Price was no object for me, but I still demand value for my money. In my case, I opted for the XLS for several reasons:

- Far better acquisition cost, and I believe, better ongoing maintenance cost. I paid less than half the cost of a new NG for a 1000-hour DA40-180 in beautiful condition.
- The IO-360 engine is by far the most common engine in general aviation in the US. While the NG has an incredible engine, I am a 2-hour flight from the nearest Diamond-certified service center and I did not have faith the local mechanics would know the NG. I can land at any airfield in the US with high confidence of finding a mechanic that knows my engine very well.
- Simpler overhaul at TBO
- While I understand the NG is very reliable (and quieter), I still think liquid-cooling is slightly higher risk than traditional air cooling. I also know that a magneto can survive complete power failure vs a fancy electrically controlled FADEC
- While it would be great to have the nice newer features of the G1000Nxi, I find my G1000 to be wonderfully capable for everything I do. I have flown quite a few hours IMC, and over great distances back and forth across the US several times.

You should carefully consider updating your spec to a 2008 or newer DA40 to get WAAS. Not only for safety while you own it, but also for resale. There is plenty of info on that topic on DAN. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 2007 thinking I could upgrade, but I'm incredibly thankful that a better deal on the 2008 popped up last minute. Of course you want to go over the logs VERY carefully to know you are getting a well-maintained machine. Lots of great articles online about what to look for. Good luck!
kseger
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by kseger »

Thanks both for the thoughtful perspectives. I have been studying the WAAS issue - agree this forum is great for it - and I will make sure I weigh the tradeoffs there carefully. Understanding the CG limit and studying the logs carefully are great pointers also - thank you. The additional thoughts re the NG are also useful! Given my location, I actually think it would likely be a great aircraft for me - just making the same value calculation you are, @dmloftus and I'm having a hard time justifying the extra spend! Much appreciated!
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Similar thread from January:

viewtopic.php?p=95231&hilit=tas#p95231
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Barry
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Barry
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N984ES
Airports: KEIK

Post by Barry »

Hi... I own a 2007XL since essentially new, almost 1800TT. Its a truly great airplane. My wife and I have flown it from coast to coast. The GFC700 is worth every penny over a KAP140 model. I have installed the Garmin 345R upgrade and it integrated well with the Avidyne TAS. Last year I upgraded the G1000 to WAAS.... not cheap, but worth the price of admission if for no other reason the resale value. As mentioned previously you do have to pay attention to W&B if you have 50gal tanks. 4 Adults will generally put you out of rear CG by about 1/4" (depending on their weight of course), but it is really not possible to get 4 adults in and be within limits. One other point... my son is a USAF pilot at RAF Mildenhall. He a quite a few hours in our DA40. He lives in Cambridge currently although he will be heading back to the US in mid-July. I'm sure I could connect you if you want to chat with him in person over a beer.
Barry Starkman
Commercial Instrument
DA40 N984ES 40.827
KEIK - Erie, CO
kseger
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by kseger »

Thanks @barry for the perspective and kind offer. I'll send you my contact details via direct message and you can pass them on. Would love to buy your son a coffee or beer if he is around!