2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Connecting iPad tyo FS510

Post by MarkO »

Could anyone help me with how to connect my iPad to the FS 510. My iPhone has connected successfully, but the iPad Bluetooth doesn't show the FS to pair with. I have spent hours reading and searching the internet for everything I can find, but no luck. Is there an essential step I have missed?
I have a valid Garmin Pilot subscription and the iPad is signed into my account and shows in "my devices". Any help would be much appreciated. I've rebooted and reset the iPad but still no luck. Cheers Mark
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Connecting iPad tyo FS510

Post by Boatguy »

I think it only will connect to two devices at once. You can have multiple devices paired, but only connect two at the same time.

Pairing is not dependent on any app on the iPad.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I can't answer your question directly, but it does work for the FS210. I have both my iPhone and iPad paired and connected simultaneously and it all behaves as expected. Pairing is done identically for both through the (in my case) appropriate GNS530W page. Did you do the iPhone or was it done for you?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
tjmoody
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Post by tjmoody »

Mark - FWIW If you haven't tried live Garmin tech support, I would recommend doing that. In my experience, the Garmin Pilot - FS510 works well when its working but is prone to quirky bugs that can be real time sinks. I had an issue this week with the Database Concierge. After spending too much time myself trying to debug, I called tech support. They identified a bug that I never would have found, but once I fixed it (I had to delete an unneeded folder on the FS510 data card), everything worked well.
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by MarkO »

Thanks everyone - some great suggestions for me to try.
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by MarkO »

I found the problem - the G1000 has to be on the Aux / Connect page for the iPad to see the G1000 Bluetooth. All working now. Thanks for the tips. Mark
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

There are two Bluetooth pairings in G1000 NXI Panels with the GMA1360 BT audio panel and a Flight Stream 510. The former allows you to play downloaded music from your iPad and hear the Foreflight (or other EFB app) annunciations. The latter is for transferring FIS-B weather & traffic data and the bi-directional transfer of flight plans (Foreflight & Garmin Pilot).

The FS510 also has a WiFi connection for "Database Concierge"; however (IMHO), it's not the best way to update panel databases. However, if you're going to try it out, know the WiFi only turns on during panel database operations, and you need an active Basic Garmin Pilot subscription.

I mention the WiFi connection because some pilots who switch from Stratus, Stratux, or similar assume the FIS-B information from the FS510 also comes in over WiFi; it comes through BT.