Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: No-drip oil filter change - with pics!

Post by Tim H »

Has anyone tried or used the Tempest Oil Filter Wrench on the DA40? I wonder if it will fit between the firewall on the oil filter?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... gLk1_D_BwE

Tim
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Tim:

It should fit - the filter backs out about an inch as you unscrew it, and there is clearance when it comes off. I'm not sure why you would need it though. If you don't over torque the filter when you install it (3/4 turn after the lubricated gasket first touches the flange), you should be able to remove it by hand (as I have always done).

Steve
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Tim- I use that wrench, and it fits fine, but I only get 1 'click' between a wire bundle where the handle sits and the ledge on the firewall.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Tim H wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:56 pm Has anyone tried or used the Tempest Oil Filter Wrench on the DA40? I wonder if it will fit between the firewall on the oil filter?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... gLk1_D_BwE

Tim
I've used it for years. But Steve is right. Travel is limited by the stuff above that shelf.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Can anyone share if they have found an easy way to install the oil screen plug and safety wire it. Even with the exhaust removed, it is a challenge, and with the exhaust in place, near impossible. Additionally, how often do most folks check it? It is not in the DA40 AMM at all, nor in the Lycoming operation manual as far as I can see.
Steve
DA40 XL
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I check it at each oil change. Safety wiring is a bit of a challenge, but doable from the right side of the engine. I have the original exhaust system, don’t have to remove anything to get at it.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

What are your thoughts on the easy oil change "anti-splat" tool featured on AOPA Pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHbUF8obm-Q

https://antisplataero.com/products/asa- ... lter-drain

They claim the filter will prevent debris from re-entering the engine.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Tim H wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:09 am What are your thoughts on the easy oil change "anti-splat" tool featured on AOPA Pilot
<snip>
They claim the filter will prevent debris from re-entering the engine.
My mechanic suggested something similar several years ago using a punch and air nozzle with a rubber tip. The small hole created by the punch is easy to temporarily patch with tape, but I still use the aluminum extrusion to catch residual drips. Using compressed air mostly helps make the job go faster.

FWIW, for the last couple of years I've switched from oil+filter at 50 hours to oil at 25 hours and oil+filter at 50 hours (or 3 months max). The oil is noticeably cleaner at 25 hours, the incremental cost and hassle is low, and AFAICT the filter element is still quite effective.

The obvious downside is that ~15% of the old oil remains in the filter, which could be problematic if the residual oil is several months old. My main goal is reducing sludge build-up in the piston oil control rings, since this is what doomed the original engine. More frequent oil changes should be effective, but we'll see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

smoss wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:58 am Can anyone share if they have found an easy way to install the oil screen plug and safety wire it. Even with the exhaust removed, it is a challenge, and with the exhaust in place, near impossible. Additionally, how often do most folks check it? It is not in the DA40 AMM at all, nor in the Lycoming operation manual as far as I can see.
On the advice of my mechanic I now check the oil screen annually when the exhaust comes off. The only exception would be if we notice something unusual in the filter, but so far that has not been an issue. Note that on a Continental the oil intake screen is not accessible without disassembling the engine.

If you are a tool addict (raises hand), the easy way to safety wire that plug - or anything! - is with one of these: Aircraft Spruce carries a clone by Bergen: Chris
firedwg1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: josh
Aircraft Registration: DA40XLS
Airports: KSNA

Post by firedwg1 »

thanks for sharing this