2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NOTYET
Airports: KCDA KCDW

Re: DA40 Home Sim Components?

Post by jbz »

Thanks Wayne! I don't think I'm quite getting 20fps, which is why I'm looking at a new machine. I have calibrated all my controls, including the stick and pedals - the issue isn't that they're wrong, it's just that I think I tend to interpret the spring tension as 'feedback' in my muscle memory, but of course that's all wrong for the flight conditions. So I end up with real trouble staying coordinated, and there is JUST enough lag on the G1000 PFD (due to Xplane, not the Simionic that I can tell - see frame rate, above) that I find myself oscillating in yaw as I try to adjust my 'hold against the spring' position on the pedals/stick. :-D Yeah, I think I will accept disappointment on stick and rudder - I just need to develop enough skill flying this particular setup that I can focus on the IFR procedures as I learn, without getting hung up on 'this feels weird.'

Other updates - I have found that the LiveTraffic plugin for X-Plane works well and is super fun, especially with LiveATC on a computer or phone nearby. I found brand new scenery packs for the two airports I flew between - KCDA/KEFK - and installed those, awesome!

Oh, and THANK YOU - that Primer on IFR is excellent! Going to go heads down on IFR written studying for a bit and then reread that before sitting back down at the sim!
LimaZulu
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anon
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: 00000
Airports: CYTZ

Post by LimaZulu »

My setup for MSFS2020:

- Thrustmaster Airbus stick
- Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant
- TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder (better than all the plastic stuff, at a price)
- 3 monitors + Tobii Eye Tracker 5 (just got it - its pretty awesome)
- For VR mode, I use HP Reverb G2

Then I use https://github.com/astenlund/fs2ff to feed AHRS data from the sim to Foreflight.

Running a 3080TI, getting ~40fps maxed settings on a non-vr 3 monitor setup, and about the same fps in VR on medium-high settings.
jbz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by jbz »

Quick update. I have acquired a Samsung Odyssey Neo (49" ultrawide monitor, 5120x1440) and a Mac Mini M2 Pro 12/19 core, 32GB RAM.
Presently, on XP12, I am getting 32fps with weather and high quality scenery. This is with default graphics settings (Textures high, clouds low, others at 3/4, etc.). The 32fps is very consistent. The Odyssey is great - it has just about what I expect for a field of view. If I wanted to look directly out the side windows, I would get two smaller monitors for left and right and it'd be near perfect. As it stands, the main screen in default FOV shows me the windscreen and compass and looks amazing.

I'm using the Thrustmaster pedals, an Airbus sidestick (Also thrustmaster?) and a Saitek throttle quadrant. I have a Honeycomb setup just arrived, still in boxes - waiting to get mounting hardware to put them under the desk.

The Simionic system is amazing. I have noticed that it doesn't work perfectly with non-G1000 vanilla planes - e.g. the SR22, where some functions of the 'custom' G1000 in that aircraft don't work or translate, and the AP controls from the Simionic aren't always reflected on the in-game unit. In the Cessna 172 G1000, though, they work perfectly and everything on the in-game G1000s is mirrored on the units and vice-versa.

Will report back when I get the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo installed. My PIREP for the AIrbus stick - it's a great peripheral, but for the DA40 it's a bit annoying. This is because it's trying to emulate the Airbus control law, so it has a strong centering force and detent. As a result, holding it off center smoothly is difficult, especially since it's much shorter than the DA40 stick, so you're using wrist mostly. It's difficult to fly smoothly. In addition, the T-Flight pedals, while they work, are cheap feeling and slide around and have poor 'feel'. They also are built such that it's not really possible to fly 'feet on the floor' because the pedals slide forward and back instead of rotating around a pivot. So while they do work, flying coordinated is even harder than flying smooth with the Airbus. Of course, practice will likely help lol.

Maybe I'll play with a head/eye tracker haha but not soon.

I think PilotEdge is still no-go with Apple Silicon, which is highly disappointing. I may try it and see if I can get it to run in rosetta.
pisymbol
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alexander
Aircraft Registration: N263DS
Airports: N51

Post by pisymbol »

PE is not supported yet for Apple Silicon but I know it is in the works. PE is an absolute must though for any kind of real IFR work. Ask me any questions: I fly a DA40 on it all the time (though that is going to change soon unfortunately).

Btw, STMA is going to be re-releasing the DA40 with 4k textures and loads of updates (I have been testing it myself, much better than the original).
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

pisymbol wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm Btw, STMA is going to be re-releasing the DA40 with 4k textures and loads of updates (I have been testing it myself, much better than the original).
G1000 and GFC700 support?
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
jbz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by jbz »

Is theirs an NG? I am working to get to a better familiarization with the XLT variant. But if course anything DA40 is great! I have been doing cold-to-cold planned VFR flights in the Lam C172 G1000 to get used to simflying and will do so until I get my Honeycombs installed and familiar (and stop obsessively tweaking my scenery :D ).
mysands
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sandeep
Aircraft Registration: N345DS
Airports: KEEN

Post by mysands »

The default autopilot can be changed to GFC700 in the STMA DA40. Open the .acf file in Plane Maker -> Expert -> autopilot -> Change XP custom to GFC700 (as far as I recall). The STMA DA40 already supports G1000.
pisymbol
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by pisymbol »

Yes on G1000 support (though it is the default XP version which is good enough IMO). I will have to try the GFC700. I typically fly the steam gauge version (the KAP-140 in it is completely wrong but I am hoping they fix that as well).
jbz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by jbz »

Ah, my ignorance showed. I just downloaded the STMA and see they offer both steam and G1000 variants. Thanks much! Can't wait for the upgrade on this. Now I realized I have to hunt down a complete set of engine/operating specs for the DA40 XLT, so I can enter 'em into my Simionics setup and maybe also the database at https://g1000profiledb.com.
pisymbol
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by pisymbol »

I just contacted STMA and they are still working on the update. But stay tuned.