3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: Landing Light Performance

Post by VickersPilot »

Dan,

Would you kindly consider contacting Diamond to organise an SB to correct the issue? Perhaps it is merely alignment but my SC says it can’t be adjusted.

I was jealous watching this microlight flying through Africa, its landing light is 10x better than mine.

https://youtu.be/KcCpkY7aCtU

If I were taking delivery, I would add to the pre delivery checklist to check the effective illumination of the lights.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

What's the lifetime of those HID lights?

On my Cirrus, all LED, I never turn off the landing lights, because they will outlive the airframe by a long margin, and they wig-wag in flight, which is great.

I'm training on a 42 and getting a new 62 next month, and the practice has been to turn off the HIDs after takeoff.

I want people to see me in the air. If these things last a lot, I wouldn't bother turning them off.
XeVision
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N789DB
Airports: KOGD

Post by XeVision »

It depends how you define "lifetime". After 1000 of actual bulb on time they have lost some output, down to about 75%, after 1500 hours of use down to about 50-60% of a new bulb output. For optimized recognition of other aircraft for collision avoidance and bird strike avoidance, you can consider to leave them on. I would not consider bulb replacement before say 700-800 hours of bulb actual use and more strongly consider it at 1000 hours as a proactive measure. The bulbs will typically continue to run for 2000 hours but output is below 40%.
As for your existing Cirrus LED lights, I have seen many of them with some of the LED's burned out in the cowling landing light fixture. They also dim to about 50% within 5-10 minutes of use due to the built in thermal management in the hot engine compartment.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

By lifetime I meant time on, so your answer is perfect.

I'm glad to hear they can live ~1000 hours. That's really not bad.

I will want to replace the HIDs if you guys have a nice LED replacement for the 62.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

We looked into putting the XeVision 50w setup on our 42 but our mechanic never got around to it.

I'm hoping it helps but not sure it's enough to move the needle. The current lights are something like 4.5" wide and deep and 2.2" tall. Not many replacements that are bright that fit int he space space. Only some dainty recog LED lights.

I'd also love to get XeVisions pulse module on the plane and put 3 position switches in place of the landing/taxi lights to add a clean/integrated pulse functionality: OFF/PULSE/STEADY ON

It'd be great for someone to make wingtip LED light STCs with big honking landing/recog lights in them too. You can never, ever have too much light. Sad that the STC process makes this so cumbersome
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

+1 for Recognition function (pulse module) via 3 way rocker (keeping same style as other light switches).
XeVision
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by XeVision »

neema wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 am We looked into putting the XeVision 50w setup on our 42 but our mechanic never got around to it.

I'm hoping it helps but not sure it's enough to move the needle. The current lights are something like 4.5" wide and deep and 2.2" tall. Not many replacements that are bright that fit int he space space. Only some dainty recog LED lights.

I'd also love to get XeVisions pulse module on the plane and put 3 position switches in place of the landing/taxi lights to add a clean/integrated pulse functionality: OFF/PULSE/STEADY ON

It'd be great for someone to make wingtip LED light STCs with big honking landing/recog lights in them too. You can never, ever have too much light. Sad that the STC process makes this so cumbersome
Going from 35 watt Stock HID to 50 watt is a 65% increase in output Lumens. Higher wattage HID is more efficient than 35 watt. 3200 lumens from 35 watt to 5300 Lumens from 50 watts bulb input.
92 Lumens per input watt for 35 watt bulb input, 106 Lumens per input watt for 50 watt bulb input.
XeVision
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by XeVision »

If there is a Steven Cohen active here, that sent me an email, for some reason your email address bounced back, refusing my responding email.
NAGartinez
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Lizette
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N865PS
Airports: KORL

Post by NAGartinez »

Did you say there was an upgrade for the DA 40 NG on your website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XeVision
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by XeVision »

NAGartinez wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:09 am Did you say there was an upgrade for the DA 40 NG on your website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we have an STC for the DA 40 series to install HID
It is the XV19W lamp assembly and the XV4D series 50 watt ballasts. There are installation instruction documents on the website in the resources section.
Dan - XeVision
801-622-7000