5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: iPad in DA40

Post by Rich »

Michael,
As you may have seen I position mine basically like yours, with a different approach to achieve this.

In my case, the iPad can be easily rotated so the face is vertical to facilitate entering or exiting for both front seat occupants. Its exact fore/aft position in flight is such that it doesn't conflict with my (or the copilot's) arm when reaching for the engine controls and fuel control. I've found that landscape orientation works best for that. When in flight the iPad is visible and usable from both front seat occupants (required by my wife :tap: ).

One detail about my mounting stalk position is it helps that I have "slender" legs :D
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

My thought is if there is a passenger, the stalk allows the ipad to move pretty much anywhere I want it - up, down or sideways as it's kind of flexible metal tubing covered in leatherette stuff. I have not tested with a passenger but will this weekend. I think it will not aggravate the passenger anymore than it does the pilot. I'll report back.

I did look at Rich's design - it's certainly more rigid and that's good for sure. Indeed, I ordered several "seat track" mounts that are pretty stiff and fiddled around with them. I did not like anything touching the sides of my legs as it's pretty tight already and I didn't want to give up any space. With my mount, I can take the entire thing and swing it up between the seat backs if I want to.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:49 pm I did look at Rich's design - it's certainly more rigid and that's good for sure. Indeed, I ordered several "seat track" mounts that are pretty stiff and fiddled around with them. I did not like anything touching the sides of my legs as it's pretty tight already and I didn't want to give up any space.
As I said: "slender" legs. FWIW for years I mounted iPad minis right on the stick. That worked for me, but barely. I could pull the stick all the way back and the iPad screen would just touch my body. And it would also (just) allow full stick travel to all the natural limits. With the Pro 11 that no longer works and with my wife's interest in having operational access, coming up with a center positioning is the best option.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

iPad in B737

Post by Rich »

A change of pace :D On an Alaska Airlines flight SEA->DEN I found the 737 had accommodations for tablets. This was real handy as I worked on an article for DPA. With the screen up at eye level it’s more comfortable than down lower.
IMG_0689.jpeg
Note the USB port right next to the bracket should one need it.