5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Rear seat back latch replacement

Post by Rich »

arksat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 pm (digging up an old thread)

Charles, how did you fix this?
My seat latch pin head has come off from the pin. I tried to re-screw it to the pin but couldn't because it's too close to the seat to rotate the head. It seems like I need to remove the whole latch system from the seat, so I wondered how did you remove it.
Can you hold the handle and rotate the pin?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Thinking about the high strength epoxy solution, setting a rough metal pin to rejoin and glue the two pieces of the shaft would likely get the strength you need. Can you get a suitable angle with a drill and long bit to drill a receiving hole in the broken part of the pin remaining in the shaft? If so, to allow for misalignment between the two holes, you could then drill a slightly larger hole in the free portion with the handle on it, then prepare the two halves and the pin with HS epoxy and join them in the shaft. I did something similar to this on a non-aircraft swivel cover. It worked well under about the same lifting pressure as required on our seat locking pins. The challenge was to get the drill bit aligned well enough to drill the hole in the portion of the pin inside the shaft. Not a lot of room for error.
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

Rich wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:53 pm Can you hold the handle and rotate the pin?
It worked!! Thank you for the advice, Rich.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

arksat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 pm (digging up an old thread)

Charles, how did you fix this?
Bringing back old memories! In the end, I was able to use pliers to push the pin up and lower the seat back. That allowed the pin to slide out of the mechanism. That pin is one piece that goes from the handle to the seat hole. It has a small diameter under the handle and a larger diameter where it sticks out into the lower part of the mechanism. It had ruptured in the middle where the diameter of the pin changes without any fillet, likely due to stress concentration at the sharp angle, a pretty basic design flaw.

I drilled a hole into the lower part of the pin and machined threads into it. I then took a piece of nail of the same diameter as upper part of the pin (the part on the picture) and threaded it at both ends. I screwed one end of the threaded nail into the threaded hole in the lower part of the pin. I inserted the repaired pin into the mechanism and screwed the handle on the top of the new pin. Voilà.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I had occasion to take a look at the back of my seat and it appears the leather is simply glued in place. So I could get access to the nuts that hold the latch mechanism by simply pulling the leather flaps loose from the seat structure. Replace the mechanism, then glue back in place with the same contact cement originally used.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5