3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Wheel Pant Cover

Post by A Dopo »

We have the plastic thingies that are small on the outside of the hole, but I am looking for something more substantial. Our airport is closing for a few months to resurface so we are moving to a community hanger at a nearby airport GMU.

Any products out there? Of course they will be using the large hook and golf carts vs the electric best tung we currently use, and I am sure although I will ask and inform them to be careful......you know the rest.

Here's a picture of our previous aircraft with wheel pant cover, and one with the new tug setup. Love the Best Tug.

Thanks
Attachments
20190609_182618.jpg
Screenshot_20220711-210200_Gallery.jpg
Pbwears1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N329DS
Airports: KBUY

Re: Wheel Pant Cover

Post by Pbwears1 »

I just started using a similar Best Tug....love the engineering , but learning to maneuver the plane back into the hangar is a trick...do you lock it so you go straight back or are you an experienced 18 wheel driver and are adept at going backwards :) Any suggestions are most welcome. I'm also struggling with the way the forks fit in to the wheel pants...seems as if the design of the Diamond adaptors need rethinking. Cheers
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

If you're looking for something to protect the tow bar hole in the NLG, consider reaching out to David Seastead at david.seastead@flypas.com. He has some stainless steel protectors that he installed on my plane. See photo:

NLG-protector.jpg
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Pbwears1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:12 pm I just started using a similar Best Tug....love the engineering , but learning to maneuver the plane back into the hangar is a trick...do you lock it so you go straight back or are you an experienced 18 wheel driver and are adept at going backwards :) Any suggestions are most welcome. I'm also struggling with the way the forks fit in to the wheel pants...seems as if the design of the Diamond adaptors need rethinking. Cheers
It's not clear if the adapters are too snug or too loose. I had that same tug and the adapters fit pretty well, but a touch snug at times. I switched to their Bravo tug in anticipation of a DA62, but for now I'm using it with the DA40NG. The adapters on the Bravo, after I sent them some dimensions and pictures, and they sent a new set, are a little smaller and excellent.

I suggest you contact support and ask for different adapters. You can mention my plane if you want, just verify that the adapters they sent me will fit into the Alpha fork.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Pbwears1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:12 pm I just started using a similar Best Tug....love the engineering , but learning to maneuver the plane back into the hangar is a trick...do you lock it so you go straight back or are you an experienced 18 wheel driver and are adept at going backwards :)
I pulled the pin out when taking the plane out of the hangar, and put it back in when pushing the plane into the hangar. With the pin in, I basically had to lift the tug to change direction.

I tried with the pin out for awhile, but it required a lot of careful concentration and never letting the plane get more than a few degrees away from straight. If it gets more than a few degrees away from straight, it's impossible to bring it back - sort of a reverse jack knifed truck.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

Hi on the Best Tug, I have to just take my time and practice and still have to occasionally pull it out and regroup lol. It's like backing a trailer with a trailer! I have tried both, locked and un locked. Also, regarding the adapters for the holes, I had a local shop turn mine down just a tiny bit with a lathe so it would fit better. Worked great after that.

As for a cover, I have the white plastic adapters as well as clear bra style material we ordered from here and it works fine for bugs, rocks etc but I am looking for a padded type cover like we had on the 172 to protect it from the inevitable heavy tow hook drop that is bound to happen.

https://www.aircraftpaintprotection.com ... _p_85.html

That stainless solution above looks much more substantial than the plastic one we have BTW.
Pbwears1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N329DS
Airports: KBUY

Post by Pbwears1 »

Many thanks for getting back to me...I don't feel so inept now :)

Cheers,

Peter