4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: MS Flight Sim 2020

Post by dmloftus »

An update to my earlier posts in this thread. The Working Title G1000 free download fixes many of the original MSFS2020 bugs and there are utilities to allow conversion of FF flight plans. Since about a year ago I've switched my sim work from XP11 to MSFS2020. Would still love more functionality, but it's a very practical tool to keep skills sharp and do some flight planning work over terrain.
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Post by gcampbe2 »

I've been using FS2020 in conjunction with pilotedge.net to become reasonably proficient as I start to work towards an instrument rating. I found the FS2020 stock G1000 implementation to be quite useless. I upgraded to a realsimgear G1000 (https://realsimgear.com/collections/gps ... 3d-and-fsx), and the Working Title G1000, and that was quite a bit better.

However, I still found that the Working Title G1000 implementation, while improving on a regular basis, was quite buggy, and you have to avoid certain operations, like certain changes an existing flight plan, or the entire thing freezes. I also found that the RealSimGear is not very well constructed. The buttons and knobs are very rough to turn and press.

About a month ago I upgraded my setup to two iPads running the Simionic G1000 with the Simionic bezels (https://www.simionic.net/wordpress/shop ... 2-11-ipad/). The Simionic G1000 software is not perfect, but it is much better than the RealSimGear for capabilities, and accuracy to the real G1000. The Simionic bezel is PERFECT. It looks and feels identical to the real G1000. Button pushes and knob turns are very satisfying.

To criticize the Simionic setup:
1) The cost is much higher (two iPads + the bezel).
2) It is not as tight an integration with FS2020. Example: When you setup and enable the autopilot, this will NOT be reflected on the in-cockpit G1000, since the Simionic unit is simply sending flight control inputs to FS2020. This means that using the AP disconnect button on your joystick will not actually disconnect the Simionic AP, and you must press the AP key on the Simionic G1000 bezel. There are other such minor differences. Other functions (like tuning radios, Baro, etc.) do reflect on the in-cockpit G1000. That said, if you are using a setup like the REalSimGear or Simionic, you probably adjust your view specifically so you don't see the in-cockpit G1000, so you don't really notice most of these nuances in practice.
3) Some of the bugs are quite annoying. Example: Often a loaded approach will initially not be setup to properly capture the localizer, and will turn you the wrong way. Typically you can see from the CDI when this is going to occur, and just cycling the CDI source instantly resolves the problem. Other approaches will incorrectly load the altitudes for everything up to the FAF with you current altitude, instead of the correct step down altitudes, which requires you to manually alter the VNAV profile after loading the approach (which fortunately you can do on the Simionic setup).

In the end I have held onto my RealSimGear. It is possible that as Working Title continues to improve they may come out on to again (but boy would it be painful to go back to the RealSimGear bezel after using the Simionic one).
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I use MSFS X and a steam gauge DA40 from Alabeo. It's almost a perfect match to my 2003 DA40, and since they are Diamonds I don't need a yoke for the computer. I'm working on my instrument rating now and its helping me get down the rhythm of what to do in terms of checklists, power settings and configurations on the approaches. My CFII thinks I'm a fast learner, but I think it's the 10 computer approaches I do for every one we do in the plane.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

dmloftus wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:19 am The Working Title G1000 free download fixes many of the original MSFS2020 bugs and there are utilities to allow conversion of FF flight plans.
Quick PIREP on MSFS2020. Sim Update 10 was released last week that includes the Working Title G1000 Nxi as a default. So far it looks to be very useful, and a vast improvement over the original poor G1000 implementation.
They have also finally added multiple window capability. This was always a part of FSX, etc, but it's the first time MSFS2020 has implemented it. It works nicely with multiple monitors to expand peripheral vision, with moderate hit to frames per second. But I have not found a way to control an additional window independently. With FSX, I could set up a separate windows on my touchscreen laptop for the G1000 PFD and MFD and "press" buttons on the G1000. I have not heard any intent or schedule to implement that capability in MSFS2020.