3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

GWX 70 Weather Radar Options

Post by Ed McDonald »

I am about to become the owner of a new DA62 - it comes off the production line in July 21 with a scheduled delivery after Oshkosh. Exciting stuff indeed.

In watching the Garmin training videos about wx radar they mention at about the 40 minute mark that the GWX 70 has an upgrade option for ground suppression and turbulence. Turbulence would be particularly nice given the altitudes the DA62 would fly at and my proximity to the Rocky Mountains.

Has anyone ordered this option? The dealer tells me that it is not available which I find somewhat perplexing.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: GWX 70 Weather Radar Options

Post by CFIDave »

The short answer is that years ago Diamond never certified the extra-cost Ground Clutter Suppression or Turbulence Detection options with the GWX70 radar on the DA62 (or DA42).

If you owned anything other than a certified G1000-equipped plane, you would be able to add these options to your GWX70, but with the G1000 NXi being an integrated flight deck that's part of a certified airframe, you can't install avionics hardware or software that hasn't been tested and certified by the airframe manufacturer (e.g., Diamond). Diamond's current NXi Phase II software for the DA62 is certified for the GWX70 radar, but Garmin's Ground Clutter Suppression and Turbulence Detection optional add-ons are not certified for this software.

Furthermore about 3 years ago the GWX70 became obsolete and has been replaced by Garmin's newer GWX75 model. The GWX75 has a 120-degree horizontal scan (instead of 90 degrees for the GWX70), and displays many more shades of color for precipitation intensity (compared to only 4 colors for the GWX70).

Diamond's forthcoming NXi Phase 3 software for the DA62 -- originally scheduled for availability this summer, but now pushed back due to Transport Canada certification delays -- will be certified for, and include software support for GWX75 installation -- allowing Diamond to start installing the GWX75 in newly delivered DA62s. With the GWX75, NXi Phase 3 software for the DA62 is going to enable the Ground Clutter Suppression and Turbulence Detection features.

Besides supporting the GWX75, NXi Phase 3 will presumably offer backwards compatibility for DA62s with the older GWX70 radar (like yours and mine). So it *might* be possible to combine the Ground Clutter Suppression and Turbulence Detection options (installed via G1000 NXi software unlock cards) certified in NXi Phase 3 for the GWX75 to also work with GWX70 installations.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Jimhartley
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: GGJIM
Airports: EGCM

Post by Jimhartley »

Hi Dave

Do you know if any progress has been made in the past year on this? GWX75 would be nice when my DA62 is built.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Diamond is limited to installing the GWX70 with current NXi Phase II software. NXi Phase III is needed for newer radars, and we’re still waiting for that.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Hopefully we will get an update from Diamond on this either at or before OSH, but it has taken a ridiculously long period of time with Transport Canada. Not to cast aspersions on our neighbors to the north, but given that these items have been certified in numerous GA aircraft I am having trouble wrapping my head around why this is taking so long. But alas, that is the hand we have been dealt. My 62 is scheduled to show up in December so I remain cautiously optimistic.

And once you have a GWX75, at some point you should be able to upgrade to the GWX8000, which is also a software-only upgrade, and that allows for essentially one-button-push radar for the horizontal scans; no more fiddling with tilt (unless you want to). I’ve heard excelled PIREPS on the 8000 radar from people who have them in Piper M600s and other aircraft that started out with the -75 and upgraded.

But I expect that too will take time to implement via Transport Canada …

Cheers
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Post by RookieFlyer »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:17 pm Diamond is limited to installing the GWX70 with current NXi Phase II software. NXi Phase III is needed for newer radars, and we’re still waiting for that.
Late in 2019 when I requested a quote for a new DA42-VI with radar, I noticed Garmin had already flagged the GWX70 as 'obsolete' on their website. When I queried why a GWX70 was included in the quote, the Diamond distributor got back to me after talking with Diamond, and the reason given was that Diamond still had significant GWX70 stock inventory which needed to cleared before they would offer the GWX75/8000 :tap:
Last edited by RookieFlyer on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Post by Mike Jones »

For my DA62 due April 24 I have been told to expect GWX75 with the GWX8000 as an option, does anyone know from the Piper experience whether to order a GWX8000 or upgrade the GWX75 once it has left the factory?
Waiting for DA62-277
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

The hardware is the same between the two; the 8000 has software unlocks that enable various features that the normal 75 lacks. From what I have seen and heard on other forums (including MMOPA), the 8000 is worth every penny over the 75 (and both are much better than the 70 which is in turn better than the 68), if you’re planning to spend a lot of time in IMC. Ease of use and presentation in the horizontal scan mode is really much, much better by all accounts. As I noted on another thread moments ago, I have opted to have my 62 delivered “radar-ready” rather than with a 70 when it is delivered in January, as I would be upgrading anyway once NXi Phase 3 comes out. I fly the 70 regularly in our Piper; it’s fine and gets the job done but the information is limited and learning curve is rather steep. The primary advantage of the 70 over earlier radars is that its solid state and all-digital and uses much less power than older radars (like the RDR2000), but the pictures you see and how you operate it are pretty much the same as older units. The 8000 does a lot of the azimuth adjusting and self-balancing for you, for example, and has more colors; it also does a better job of picking up turbulence and “hidden cells” than the earlier models. There’s a fair amount out there on the 8000 - worth searching for the reviews.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I have owned and operated planes that have the GWX-68,70,75 and 8000 radars. Each one is an improvement on the prior version but I would say the 70 is a nice improvement on the 68. The 75 is more of a next generation improvement vs. the 70 and the 8000 is the greatest thing ever and no chance would I buy a 75 if the 8000 were available. The only caveat to this is I fly a turboprop in the flight levels and I don't know how these radars would compare at DA62 altitudes. My suspicion is that the 8000 would be even better since its ground suppression is more useful at lower altitudes.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Just to circle back on this issue on my recently-delivered DA62. I wound up having the airplane delivered without a radar onboard but rather opted to have it delivered “radar-ready.” When Phase 3 NXi is approved, which is currently expected by June 2023 last I heard, I will have a GWX75 installed in the aircraft (I paid for the radar in my purchase price) at no further cost in parts or labor. When the GWX8000 upgrade is subsequently approved (expected by year end 2023), the company will then provide the upgrade/unlocks for the GWX8000 at no additional charge. I elected just to fly it using ADSB/XM weather for a few months as I gain proficiency. Of course, those dates may change but prepaying for the upgraded radar avoids a large check down the road. If you are planning to have a 62 delivered in 2023 (before the GWX8000) you might inquire from your dealer for something similar. PM me if you want to know the price or discuss details (and please be patient - I am not on this site particularly often but I will eventually get back to you). The hardware upgrade will also include the anti static applications to the radome or whatever they call those things :)