G1000 Nxi Phase II questions

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: G1000 Nxi Phase II questions

Post by photoSteveZ »

mhoran wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:55 pm This looks promising. You are on the system status page which is the same initial page on the legacy G1000. You need to use the big and small FMS knobs to navigate to the right pages.
It looks promising. I get a cursor by pressing the small FMS knob, then both the large and small knobs scroll up/down the list of LRUs. See the second photo in my previous post: a plus sign next to a label means you can expand it to view subtopics, a minus sign means the subtopics are already displayed, indented, below the LRU label.

Once the cursor highlights, for instance, GMA1, then I can push ENT to get a list of sub-topics. I can navigate among the subtopics using either FMS knob, interchangeably, but once I’ve got a subtopic highlighted there is no further action possible. The ENT key advances the cursor by one subtopic, just as either the small or large FMS knobs do.

Clearly I do not understand something about Configuration Mode, but I’m stuck.
The soft keys are always the same: DNLD Log, SYS Export, and ACFT RPT.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Instead of PUSHing the small FMS knob to get the cursor, just TURN it (with no cursor present). You should get a list of pages in the first section. If you turn the larger knob, you can move between sections. This is similar behavior to the MFD navigation in regular mode.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Like Rick said, do not press the knob at all. That will start navigation WITHIN the sytstem status page. Just turn the large knob ensuring that it does not change anything on the system status page. This will bring up a navigation menu in the bottom right. The big knob (so long as the page is inactive) navigates between page groups. The small knob navigates within the page group (e.g. GTX, GMA settings.)

The interface is really terrible but that's the gist. Once you get to the desired page THEN you press the small knob to activate navigation within the page. Except for the system logs which are incredibly frustrating to use.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

CFIDave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 pm Sorry, but you probably won't be able to perform the 3rd action (i.e., enable a call sign) in Maintenance Mode unless you also have the G1000 NXi Loader Card for your particular airframe. Diamond Austria used to include this SDCard with their deliveries, but Diamond Canada does not. The only way to get a Loader Card is from an authorized Garmin dealer who has password access to the dealer website, and can create the card by downloading an .exe file. Each loader card is tied to your specific G1000 NXi System ID. :(

For the first 2 items (Loader card not required), in Maintenance Mode find the audio panel GMA Page Group. There you'll be able to scroll through about 3 pages of options, each of which you can change from OFF to ON. You'll easily find the 3D audio options (for both pilot and co-pilot), but it took me awhile to find the option to enable ATC radio for passengers:
Once I discovered that I needed to be working on the PFD rather than the MFD, I made some progress. But contrary to @CFIDave's advice, I found that the one thing I could change in Configuration Mode was to enable the GTX 345's feature of being able to edit the call sign. So that's good: now when I do an Angel Flight I can edit the call sign in the TMR/REF box on the PFD. That'll avoid the FAA sending me letters complaining that the call sign I use on the radio doesn't match the transponder's call sign.

But all the GMA 1360 configuration options seem to be locked: on that page when I press the FMS knob, rather than getting a cursor at the top of the options list, the entire multi-page list is surrounded by a cyan box and a scroll bar appears at the right. From there, all you can do is use the knob to scroll down through the options to see how they're set. Nothing is ever highlighted and so nothing can be edited.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

it's impossible to change your plane's tail number in the GTX345R transponder without using a software Loader card -- so it's encouraging to hear that you could enable the PFD call sign selection option without a Loader card.

I do recall that it was not immediately obvious how to select and edit the audio panel ON/OFF option settings that you successfully located. You're in the right place, so keep playing around and you'll figure it out.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

:) If you befriend your avionics shop, they’ll make you a s/w loader card.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Success! It turns out that you push on the PFD’s Range knob to toggle between scroll mode and cursor mode in the GMA options page. :roll:
tjmoody
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Post by tjmoody »

I just joined the Phase II club. I had the upgrade performed at Alpine Aviation (KGOO) and I picked up N62DL on Saturday. I added the FS 510 as well. Alpine was able to get it all done in a week which I was happy with. It seems to be working well. The only glitch I've had so far was that the COM1/2 side tones were not turned on. This thread was VERY helpful in fixing this. It still took about an hour sitting in my hangar tonight searching through arcane G1000 set up screens but once I got to the correct screen, it was easy :roll:
2022-05-23 20.20.10 small v2.jpg
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I'm curious if anyone else with NXi Phase II -- who have used Configuration Mode to enable passengers to hear ATC radio calls -- have this issue when playing music (either GDL69A SXM music channels, or iPad music files played over the GMA 1360 audio system via Bluetooth):

Pilot and co-pilot headsets:
- Music automatically mutes when talking on intercom
- Music automatically mutes when there's an ATC radio call

Passenger headsets:
- Music automatically mutes when talking on intercom
- Music DOES NOT mute when there's an ATC radio call. With music turned OFF, ATC radio was always heard just fine.

(We happened to have a United Airlines captain sitting in the middle row of seats, and she complained she could no longer hear any ATC calls if we turned on music.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

United Airlines captain sitting in the middle row of seats, and she complained she could no longer hear any ATC calls if we turned on music.
"Sorry about that, it's ATC's choice, not ours."
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)