5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: Moving from DA40-XLS to DA40-NG Questions

Post by waynemcc999 »

haykinson wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:22 am
As for the vents — on my plane, I've used the duct tape trick (taping half the vent closed on the outside) which reduces the noise significantly while reducing airflow only insignificantly. I think this idea came from somewhere on this forum. I'm not sure if the same approach will work on the NG, but I presume that it will given that the shape of the air vent is very similar.
I'm with Ilya on taping the NACA vents... I used glider tape and it works superbly for the Lycoming DA40. Here's a brief PIREP on the taping. Bottom line:
grab32.png
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
gkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gerry
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N234LA
Airports: KGED

Post by gkaplan »

Thanks again - these comments are very helpful. I'm inclined to keep the useful load and forfeit the A/C given these comments.

Can anyone provide me with Weight/Balance for a typical NG without A/C?
Gerry Kaplan
DA40-XLS 40-1160
KGED (Delaware)
Scotsman58
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N430JP
Airports: KBDR

Post by Scotsman58 »

I appreciate this conversation.

I have considered upgrading from my 2005 DA40 to a NG. The main reasons for my interest have been: (1) future threat to availability of 100LL, (2) chance to upgrade to NXI/WAAS/GFC 700 (mine is non-WAAS KAP 140), and (3) reduced wingspan for fitting into my 40 foot T-hangar. Fuel economy, while meaningful to me, is not critical given that most of my flying involves sub 200 nm trips for recreational purposes, and I'm not too worried about useful load given that I very rarely have more than 2 people aboard.

At least for now, I'm holding off. My main reasons for that are: (1) there really isn't any significant Austro maintenance expertise at my field (KBDR), and I would likely have to go to KMGJ (to Takeflight) for any serious engine maintenance -- doable but not convenient; (2) it appears that a solution to the 100LL problem is now on the horizon; and (3) I am concerned about Diamond's future avionics support given their failure to offer an affordable and readily available upgrade path for my current plane, and as I understand it, their slowness in adopting the latest Garmin developments (such as visual approaches, and now glide adviser) in their newer aircraft.

I did do a demo flight in the NG (at Takeflight in KMGJ). Again, some pros and cons (sorry, that's the way I think about these things). Pro -- love the simplified engine management (what's not to love?); good cruise speed (although in the Northeast I rarely am at higher altitudes), and air braking action from the engine/prop combo that gives you better glide path management on final approach, almost like a speed brake on a sailplane. Con -- distinctly lower initial climb performance than on a Lycoming DA40; higher stall speed (and sharper, less benign stall breaks than on my current DA40); apparently some in-flight engine failures (at least one -- the very plane I demo'd had a total failure in IMC, but was able to fly an approach back to the field due to some sharp piloting -- it had a replacement engine and the instructor who flew with me said that they still had no info as to the cause -- this was a few months ago and maybe there is more info now).

I love lots of things about Diamonds, especially their flying qualities. But if I were getting a new one, at least for now, I would probably stick with a Lycoming model.
gkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by gkaplan »

To those who mentioned available maintenance, that is one item that does really worry me. I am at KGED and the maintenance shop here has no knowledge of Diamonds at all. They've only been helpful with spark plugs, batteries, and wheels. Probably in the worse case scenario, they'd be able to help with a Lycoming, but no way would they get near an Austro.

Another concern, probably unfounded, is that almost all of my flights in the XLS end up being around 6000 to 8000 feet, mostly because of clouds. Seemed like no matter what time of year I flew, cloud bases were right at 6000. Even though the plane is perfectly capable of IFR (as am I), who wants to fly a 2.5 hour flight in the clouds? The Lycoming has great performance at the altitudes I fly, but I really wanted to fly out west a bit, maybe Texas, TN, and if I'm really daring, CA.
Gerry Kaplan
DA40-XLS 40-1160
KGED (Delaware)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I am at KOWD, there is no engine shop on the field (and I have two of them to worry about). It seems like KMGJ is the closest engine shop, but I am not concerned due to my experience with the plane. So far the things that have put me on the ground were things that I solved myself (wire to the starter engine), or things that any shop could fix (same wire, but completely broken, $75 repair at KBKL; starter died at Westchester County and the shop replaced it without an issue; cracked exhaust at KOWD, shop on the field replaced it).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

gkaplan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 pm Can anyone provide me with Weight/Balance for a typical NG without A/C?
PM me with your email and I'll send you the entire AFM for my plane, w/o AC, including the W&B. Or just the W&B if you don't want the AFM.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

gkaplan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:53 pm Another concern, probably unfounded, is that almost all of my flights in the XLS end up being around 6000 to 8000 feet, mostly because of clouds. Seemed like no matter what time of year I flew, cloud bases were right at 6000. Even though the plane is perfectly capable of IFR (as am I), who wants to fly a 2.5 hour flight in the clouds? The Lycoming has great performance at the altitudes I fly, but I really wanted to fly out west a bit, maybe Texas, TN, and if I'm really daring, CA.
Is there a question in there, or are you articulating why the turbo is attractive?
gkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by gkaplan »

Sorry for being unclear. The concern was whether to switch to NG vs stay with Lycoming. Seems like NG performs better higher.
Gerry Kaplan
DA40-XLS 40-1160
KGED (Delaware)
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

The only W&B issue I've noticed in my DA40 NG without AC is with full tanks and two 180 lbs folks in the front seats it can get out of balance. This is easily solved with 20 lbs of ballast in the baggage tube.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Gerry, if you would like a relatively risk free way to try this out, I'd be happy to buy your XLS and give you an option to buy it back less some depreciation for hours flown if you don't like the NG. You'd still have to sell the NG. You can PM me if you are interested.

I'll admit I'm thinking about the same trade offs and vacillate between buying used avgas and new diesel.