New DA40 owner | First Plane | what are common mistakes?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Re: New DA40 owner | First Plane | what are common mistakes?

Post by perossichi »

Abe

Didn’t know about this forum until a year after I bought plane. A great resource.

1. I ran powerlant by manual which is 100 degrees ROP. Now I run 50 degrees LOP. Do a Gami test.

2. I discovered WX two part glider polish and coating great stuff

3. Not immediately installing Powerflo which really improves things.

4.I didn’t know that the elastomer disks in nose strut compress and should be replaced after 1000 hours

5. My fuel cap gaskets were wearing out which could cause rain to seep into tanks

6. Get a hangar if at all possible

7. Rarely use landing flaps only approach flaps.

8 install led landing lights for vastly improved visibility.

9. Bought locking U bolt and carabiner to secure tail to chains in transient areas.

10 simple sun shades from rectangles of green clear plastic that cling via surface tension. You can get them for nothing at aircraft spruce.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

perossichi wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:59 am Abe

Didn’t know about this forum until a year after I bought plane. A great resource.

1. I ran powerlant by manual which is 100 degrees ROP. Now I run 50 degrees LOP. Do a Gami test.

2. I discovered WX two part glider polish and coating great stuff

3. Not immediately installing Powerflo which really improves things.

4.I didn’t know that the elastomer disks in nose strut compress and should be replaced after 1000 hours

5. My fuel cap gaskets were wearing out which could cause rain to seep into tanks

6. Get a hangar if at all possible

7. Rarely use landing flaps only approach flaps.

8 install led landing lights for vastly improved visibility.

9. Bought locking U bolt and carabiner to secure tail to chains in transient areas.

10 simple sun shades from rectangles of green clear plastic that cling via surface tension. You can get them for nothing at aircraft spruce.
Hi,

Can you explain why not using flaps in LDG position?
Where did you read that the elastomer disks in the nose strut compress has to be replaced each 1000 hours?

Thanks.

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

I replaced my elastomer disks last annual. They really do compress. I was at about 1350 hours flight time (Garmin hours). What a difference in the planes stance. I used to wonder why most DA40s seem to sit nose up - now I know why mine did not.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

astaib wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:25 am
...Where did you read that the elastomer disks in the nose strut compress has to be replaced each 1000 hours?

Thanks.

Arnaud.
Arnaud:

My airplane is the same vintage (Classic) as yours. I've replaced the elastomers twice. Most recently was a couple of months ago, coinciding with my prop blade replacement with the 183-59b blades, which make the prop arc 3 cm bigger than with the old 180-17 blades. I wanted as much ground clearance as possible:
12.625 inches (32 cm)
12.625 inches (32 cm)
Steve
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by perossichi »

I believe the 1000 hours is in the Mx manual. I have two blade Hartzell composite prop which has a really low clearance. I found out about disks at a Diamond service center.

The flaps stuff is just personal preference. One less thing to worry about in a go around. I rarely use Flaps on take off. I prefer to climb out at 90 knots which is much above Vy. Engine is cooler and you get much better flight control authority. Of course, if you are making a landing with a strong cross wind i might not use any flaps.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by astaib »

Steve wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:50 pm
astaib wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:25 am
...Where did you read that the elastomer disks in the nose strut compress has to be replaced each 1000 hours?

Thanks.

Arnaud.
Arnaud:

My airplane is the same vintage (Classic) as yours. I've replaced the elastomers twice. Most recently was a couple of months ago, coinciding with my prop blade replacement with the 183-59b blades, which make the prop arc 3 cm bigger than with the old 180-17 blades. I wanted as much ground clearance as possible:

IMG_4622.jpg

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the explanation. Is the 183-59b a wood prop too? What advantages did you noticed by changing it?
Do you have a rough estimation of the cost of the elastomers? Is it a set or several PN has to be ordered?

Thanks!

Arnaud.
Arnaud
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

perossichi wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:38 am The flaps stuff is just personal preference. One less thing to worry about in a go around. I rarely use Flaps on take off. I prefer to climb out at 90 knots which is much above Vy. Engine is cooler and you get much better flight control authority. Of course, if you are making a landing with a strong cross wind i might not use any flaps.
My preference is to regularly do steep approaches, with full flaps and slipping. I figure it’s good practice for an engine out scenario. Plus it’s fun.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

astaib wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:42 am Hi Steve,

Thank you for the explanation. Is the 183-59b a wood prop too? What advantages did you noticed by changing it?
Do you have a rough estimation of the cost of the elastomers? Is it a set or several PN has to be ordered?

Thanks!

Arnaud.
Same construction as the 180-17, wood core wrapped with composite. Comparing with speed runs I did prior to the change, the new prop is about 2 knots faster.

For our airplanes, there are two PNs (5 of one and one of the other). They are quite pricey if you order them from DAI. Luckily, they are a standard DIN part. I sourced mine from:

Berger Tools Ltd.

www.berger-tools.co.uk

PNs:

ES-63-50-CR (quan 5)
ES-32-40-CR (quan 1)

Total cost was about 50 British pounds, which is not much more than the cost of one elastomer element from DAI! Even with shipping to me from the UK, total cost was under $150.

Steve
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by perossichi »

Lou makes a good point. Many Diamond owners do not realize how well the DA40 slips. If you slip with full flaps, you will descend at 70 knots at over 1000 ft per minute. Certainly flying high approaches is the a good preparation for engine out situations.

I routinely fly power off 180 s with only TO flaps. I just find the landing flaps unnecessary unless I’m super high.

But as I said this is a matter of personal preference.

Definitely practice slipping the plane.

P
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by astaib »

Steve wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:34 pm
astaib wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:42 am Hi Steve,

Thanks!

Arnaud.
Same construction as the 180-17, wood core wrapped with composite. Comparing with speed runs I did prior to the change, the new prop is about 2 knots faster.

For our airplanes, there are two PNs (5 of one and one of the other). They are quite pricey if you order them from DAI. Luckily, they are a standard DIN part. I sourced mine from:

Berger Tools Ltd.

www.berger-tools.co.uk

PNs:

ES-63-50-CR (quan 5)
ES-32-40-CR (quan 1)

Total cost was about 50 British pounds, which is not much more than the cost of one elastomer element from DAI! Even with shipping to me from the UK, total cost was under $150.

Steve
Thanks for the trick, I suppose that they are not providing FORM1?
Are they strictly identical?

Arnaud.
Arnaud
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b