5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Chapter 42 begins

Post by TimS »

Steve,

lol, memory failure on my part. This was almost ten years ago with my SR20, and I recalled six lbs per container; I just assumed they were one gallon each (my instructor had me weigh them).

Tim
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Chris - how is the view from the 42 versus your 40? Seriously. Are you looking at engines either way, or is there still a view out the side?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 am Chris - how is the view from the 42 versus your 40? Seriously. Are you looking at engines either way, or is there still a view out the side?
The view out front is terrific, but the side views aren't nearly as nice as the DA40. My wife likes to take photos out of the "emergency window" and isn't thrilled about the engine spoiling her mountain photography. I'm mounting a camera out on "her" wing to compensate somewhat. Jury is still out as to whether she'll be happy with that.

Here are a couple of shots my instructor took while I was under the hood shooting an approach.
CE23E281-1CCB-4E40-BD67-3222AA1D39F5_1_105_c.jpeg
CDB22206-2BC6-4730-8EDF-4051AFB86692_1_105_c.jpeg
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Chris wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:09 am
Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 am Chris - how is the view from the 42 versus your 40? Seriously. Are you looking at engines either way, or is there still a view out the side?
The view out front is terrific, but the side views aren't nearly as nice as the DA40. My wife likes to take photos out of the "emergency window" and isn't thrilled about the engine spoiling her mountain photography. I'm mounting a camera out on "her" wing to compensate somewhat. Jury is still out as to whether she'll be happy with that.
That's exactly my problem! My wife also takes pictures out the "emergency" window and it keeps her busy and happy when we're flying.

What are you mounting on the wing?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:36 am What are you mounting on the wing?
I've attached one of the NFlightCam mounts as shown in this thread and am planning on using it with a GoPro Hero 8. But we haven't had a chance to try it out yet since the weather turned uncooperative as soon as I installed it.
Chris
KHIO
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Chris wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:54 am
Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:36 am What are you mounting on the wing?
I've attached one of the NFlightCam mounts as shown in this thread and am planning on using it with a GoPro Hero 8. But we haven't had a chance to try it out yet since the weather turned uncooperative as soon as I installed it.
I have the nFlight mounts and have take videos and stills with the GoPro on the wing (and horizontal stabilizer). It can capture some good shots, but if your wife is like mine, it's the engagement while flying, the selection of what to photograph, trying to capture what she sees, etc. that is as important as the actual photograph. The GoPro on the wing is essentially passive. Yes, you can use remote control to decide when to snap a shot, or you can just tell it to take a picture every 15 seconds. It will not be a substitute for my wife.

Separately, I've been trying to design a hood/sock/bellows for the window. I should probably start a new thread for this.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I moved into a DA62 just last month, from a Bonanza A36 in which I had installed oversized shooting windows on both sides of the cockpit for air-to-ground photography; I also do air-to-air work with the cargo doors removed and another pilot up front while I shoot from the back (see my avatar; there's a reason my forum handle is photoSteveZ). To say that the 62 is a disappointing photo platform considerably understates my true feelings. The wing, prop and engine cowling pretty much negate shooting anything off to the side from the cockpit (thought to be fair it looks like second row passengers have a much better view, out and back); looking forward gives a decent view but the windscreen is optically dismal for photography, much worse than the Bonanza's.

So I've put a GoPro MAX out on the wingtip of the 62 using the NFlightCam spud/ball mount, and have installed another spud on the horizontal stab, and I'll see if I can't learn how to get what I want out of that system.

Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msa3eOkEMmQ. It's an interview I gave AvWeb's Paul Bertorelli recently to talk about my aerial and aviation photography.
Attachments
ArapahoePeaksWilderness.jpeg
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Steve:

Nice interview with Paul Bertorelli...

With Diamonds you really need a DA40 for photography since you sit in front of the wing to look down at the ground, the bubble canopy has terrific visibility in multiple directions, and there are no engines "in the way" as with Diamond twins. (I wonder if it would be safe to ever fly the DA62 with the rear door removed as is common for A36 Bonanza photo missions.)

I mounted a GoPro to the tail tie-down of our DA62 for our Grand Canyon video (purposely flown around noon for sunlight to penetrate into the depths of the canyon):

I look forward to some air-air "beauty shots" of your DA62. ;)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

Beautiful shots over the Grand Canyon, Dave. I hope it's OK that I made the video inline with the post so people could see it more easily.

I'm assuming you just used a static mount? It looked like the angle changed slightly during the flight, but I'm guessing that's just due to wind moving things around slightly and not from any remote control.

After my flight today, I'm particularly interested in installing a camera in that position that I can stream into the cabin. My nose gear light burned out mid-flight today, and my instructor and I had a "fun" time dealing with that (in IMC, no less). We were pretty sure it was just the bulb until we did a low pass in front of the tower at KSLE, who reported "negative visual". That raised our heart rates a bit. Long story short: another low pass at KHIO received a "fully extended" report, and we landed without incident. Note: if the lighting is right (and your plane is clean) you can sorta see the reflection of the nose gear in the engine cowling, so we actually had our own visual prior to getting the final confirmation from the tower. But it sure would be nice to be able to see under there more easily. :shock:
Chris
KHIO
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Chris wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:09 am Beautiful shots over the Grand Canyon, Dave. I hope it's OK that I made the video inline with the post so people could see it more easily.

I'm assuming you just used a static mount? It looked like the angle changed slightly during the flight, but I'm guessing that's just due to wind moving things around slightly and not from any remote control.
For the tail tie-down Go-Pro mount I started out by purchasing this:
https://www.mypilotpro.com/product/mypi ... ane-mount/

But then I discovered that the L-shaped metal piece and washers were too large to fit the DA62 tail skeg/tie-down area. Not sure about a DA42; maybe it fits a 42 as-is.

So I re-used the clamping hardware but with smaller washers and a smaller L-shaped piece of aluminum that was custom.

The L-shaped aluminum was created by sawing off about an inch end from a 6 foot length of angled aluminum from Home Depot. Then drilling two holes and rounding off the corners. Photo shows resulting mount attached to the large battery case that fits around a GoPro 7 Black.
IMG_4846.jpeg
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI