3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

RAM BALL MOUNTS

Post by janders »

Since I was researching how to install the 1" RAM Ball Mounts (RAP-B-238U), I figured I would document what I've learned incase someone else is doing the same in the future. I found the following in the parts catalog but I can't figure out what size torx wrench I should bring.

Here is a visual of what the install looks like
Diagram
Diagram
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 12.50.38.png (43.78 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
And the description of part 710 is a Button Head Screw Torx Socket Black, size M5x25. ISO14583-M5x25-BC.
Part description
Part description
Consulting McMaster, looks like they use the T25 with a M5x25, but this is ISO 7380 and I have no idea what that means. Anyways I'll give this a try and report back when I can.

From @cfidave's post here it looks like i might need to bring longer screws too...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: RAM BALL MOUNTS

Post by CFIDave »

I installed the RAM mounts on the A-pillars of my DA62 back in 2017 before Diamond updated their parts catalog to show the diagram above. Any M5 screws of sufficient length will work (I used some stainless steel screws), although I suppose black Torx screws might look nicer.

Note that on new DA62s, Diamond now charges $1360 extra for "RAM Tablet Mount Provisions" to install the nut plates (part 720 in the diagram above) inside the A-pillars when the aircraft is being built. Without them, you can't later add the RAM mounts.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by janders »

I think I have that part since I can see the screws in the A Pillar. But, we will see if the screws that come with are sufficient.
2screws.jpg
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Herewith a photo of the certified Diamond DA62 factory fitted Ram Ball Mount (Right).
Attachments
RAM Ball Mount
RAM Ball Mount
D1E07160-0FC8-4572-AFC9-FFC3FCB58B03.jpeg
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

N157DA wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:53 pm I think I have that part since I can see the screws in the A Pillar. But, we will see if the screws that come with are sufficient.
2screws.jpg
They might not be for the RAM mounts. My a/c came with the same screws but when I removed them I found out they were plastic and didn't have the nut plate behind which is needed to hold a steel screw for the RAM mount. During my first annual back in London, I had them make the required modification so that I could add the RAM mount.

--Ron
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by janders »

I saw the same when I went to check my airplane this weekend. I noted the screws were T27 and were the small plastic screws you mention.
PlasticScrew.jpg
Checking my original assumption by reading the optional change notes in the logbooks, I see there is check by OAM62-033, Tablet Mount on A-Column. I'll reach out to maintenance for a quote on installing them when I get my next service.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

As you discovered, just because it LOOKS like the screws are properly spaced to support a RAM mount, you can't assume that the appropriate nut plate was installed inside of the A-pillar -- unless the original owner paid extra for the "RAM Tablet Mount Provisions" option.

I got lucky since Austrian-built DA62s back in 2017 seemed to come with the nut plates installed at no extra cost, whereas Canadian-built DA62s normally ship only with some plastic screws in the holes.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by janders »

N157DA wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm I see there is check by OAM62-033, Tablet Mount on A-Column. I'll reach out to maintenance for a quote on installing them when I get my next service.
Should read:

I see there is *no* check by OAM62-033, Tablet Mount on A-Column. I'll reach out to maintenance for a quote on installing them when I get my next service.

thanks @cfidave
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

The correct screws are T25 and when installing the mounts you’d need longer ones. In your case it looks like the nut plates need to be potted in too.

Weird, I’ve seen ones with no screws at all and ones with legit screws, never dummy screws before. Are you sure the nut plates aren’t there and they just ran in plastic screws as a place holder? There’s obviously a hole at least that the screw went into...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Davestation wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:28 amWeird, I’ve seen ones with no screws at all and ones with legit screws, never dummy screws before. Are you sure the nut plates aren’t there and they just ran in plastic screws as a place holder? There’s obviously a hole at least that the screw went into...
As noted above, the aircraft has to be ordered from the factory with the $1360 option now to get the nut plates. Otherwise you get screws as place holders to fill the holes.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI