DA42 v DA62 Training Options

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

marioair1

DA42 v DA62 Training Options

Post by marioair1 »

I'm going to shortly have access to a DA62. I have an SEP and SE/IR but no experience on Diamonds.
So I need to do an MEP rating and also top up my SE to IR. I'm in the UK so the MEP rating is 6 hours and the IR conversion is 5 hours.

I have the following choices - what would you recommend?
  • Do the MEP and ME/IR on a DA42, with a school that also has access to a Sim. Following this do some more time to familiarise with differences between 42 and 62
    Do the MEP on a DA42 with a school that has access to a sim and then do the ME/IR on the DA62
    Do both MEP and ME/IR on a 62
The cost is quite a but more for the last option.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: DA42 v DA62 Training Options

Post by ultraturtle »

For any given model year, DA62 and DA42-VI are virtually indistinguishable from each other in all respects, to include aircraft performance and feel, so I would not dwell too much on the more expensive DA62 for that reason alone. A more important reason to log as much time in the DA62 as possible would be insurance company requirements. A typical policy in the USA would require a minimum of 5 hours dual in type for the aircraft owner, and anywhere between 25 and 50 hours total time in type for non-owner pilots.
Marioair1

Post by Marioair1 »

I’ve checked and there’s no issue on from an insurance perspective.

So welcome views on that basis

Post by Guest »

I’ve done both trainings (for DA42 and DA62) based on experience with a DA40NG and can also confirm that there is no big difference between both. I find the DA62 even easier to land because of the larger windmill braking effect below 10%. If would recommend to do the training on the machine you will be flying more in the future, which is the DA62 if I understand correctly?!
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

I owned a DA42 prior to the DA62 -

Like Ultra said - not much difference in the operation of the 62 vs 42-VI.

Since you said insurance isn't an "issue", train in either!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Marioair1

Post by Marioair1 »

Thanks. I was thinking more going the other way - training in the 42 first. As here in the U.K. there’s a significant cost difference (£6000 versus £8000). So is saving the £2000 worth it versus the extra time is need to then checkout on the 42?

Also - what are good training materials I can read?
marioair1

Post by marioair1 »

There is quite a cost difference £5000 versus £7000 so trying to see if it's "worth" doing it all on the 62 or doing it (MEP and ME/IR) on the 42 and then doing a conversion afterwards

Also - what are the recommended training I can read up on in advance - the POH(s) obviously but what else. e,g, what G1000 training would people recommend ( i've only ever flow 6-pack and G430)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

If DA42 is equipped with GFC700, I don’t see much difference, especially for the training purposes.
papa sierra

Post by papa sierra »

I was recently in exactly the same situation and ended up choosing to train on the DA62. It's a fabulous machine and you might aswell get used to the aircraft you will be flying.

Don't forget to add the additional costs for airways fees and higher landing fees for a 2.3t aircraft; it added quite an unexpected amount to my training.

One word of warning: If you have not flown with the G1000 before it will be a major distraction and you will find yourself being busy trying to work out the system rather than learning how to fly a multi engine aeroplane. I had about 70 hours on the G1000 but that was quite a while back, and for the first couple of hours on the DA62 it definitely took a lot of attention. Highly recommend to get a G1000 trainer and familiarise yourself with the system; it may even end up being more cost effective to do a few hours on a reasonably priced DA40 G1000 or other single engine aircraft.

Another thing you might want to read is the free FAA training book on multi engine flying: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... h_ch12.pdf

Out of interest, where is the DA62 you will have access to? Now that I have the MEP and ME-IR I am looking for something to rent on an occasional basis. I'm based in west London and normally fly out of Oxford Kidlington.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

As long as the DA42 has Austro engines and a GFC700 autopilot (e.g., an NG or -VI model), save yourself considerable money by training in the 42. The transition is trivial with very few differences:
- DA62 normally uses takeoff flaps, DA42 not
- No stick limiter in the DA62
- The wider scimitar blades on the DA62 and DA42-VI cause the plane to slow down much more quickly when pulling the power to idle during landing, compared to the skinny "toothpick" blades of the DA42NG (and TDI) models.
- Because of much bigger main gear tires, you can brake harder on the DA62 without accidentally locking up the wheels and creating flat spots (an issue with DA42s)
- Because of the bigger nose wheel tire, the DA62 requires considerably higher pedal pressure to turn while taxiing, forcing you to learn use of differential engine thrust. The 42 is much easier to taxi.

If you train in a DA42 TDI (Thielert/Continential engine), the plane will still handle similarly to a DA62, but has additional differences:
- You have to crank the TDI engines a bit to start whereas Austros start immediately
- TDI aircraft have no electric fuel pump switches to set for takeoffs and landings
- The automated run-up may not cause engine RPM to increase; you only wait for the "ECU Fail" annunciations to disappear
- There is no manual switching between ECU A vs. ECU B on each engine
- Unless the DA42 TDI has been upgraded to GIA63Ws, you probably won't have WAAS, so you won't be able to fly LPV GPS approaches
- And the biggest difference is the TDI's KAP-140 autopilot that's not integrated into the G1000, e.g., setting the altitude bug on the G1000 PFD doesn't help with altitude capture, there is no FLC function to climb at a constant airspeed, no coupled VNAV, etc.

And all of these aircraft have slightly different V-speeds to memorize. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI