The G1000 project - "The next step"

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: The G1000 project - "The next step"

Post by chili4way »

CBeak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:33 pm what I’d really like is to activate SVT and maybe be able to transfer a flight plan from ForeFlight directly to the G1000, without spending the equivalent of buying another airplane.
Mike, what would you be willing to pay to get WAAS, SVT, and FlightStream capabilities (assuming it's less than the ~$545,000 required to buy a new DA40NG)?
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

chili4way wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:47 pm
CBeak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:33 pm what I’d really like is to activate SVT and maybe be able to transfer a flight plan from ForeFlight directly to the G1000, without spending the equivalent of buying another airplane.
Mike, what would you be willing to pay to get WAAS, SVT, and FlightStream capabilities (assuming it's less than the ~$545,000 required to buy a new DA40NG)?
No problem with $30k or so. Maybe a bit more if I knew future upgrades like simple software updates would be available at a reasonable cost. It would be nice to have those things right there in the panel where I’m not concerned about batteries dying and Bluetooth disconnecting. But above that, I’d be sacrificing retirement money to put things in the panel that ForeFlight provides now.
I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as many others on this topic. I love my DA40, but it was a whole lot easier to make reasonable upgrades to my old 1979 C172N.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

“Willingness to spend” is an absurd question, as Garmin is no longer making the GIA63W. In my case, I purchased two of them for a price that I was willing to spend. My willingness to spend even extended to paying Garmin to recertify them and pay to have them installed in my plane. Nevertheless, Garmin made it quite clear that it had no regard for either equipment that it had already sold or customers who located that equipment themselves after unsuccessfully seeking to purchase it from either Garmin or Diamond.

Sandy
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

Did the second Garmin / Diamond / DAN meeting take place ? How did it go ?

Thanks to the DAN team leading this initiative !
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

chili4way wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:47 pm
Well we should not have to buy a new plane for WAAS. My DA40 is a 2004 - first year ever with G1000 and US launch aircraft for G1000. As an early adopter I never thought I would be in this boat. My sales sheet clearly states the GIA63s were supposed to be 'WAAS Upgradeable' and I have brought that to the attention of Diamond many times. They said they could be upgrading by replacing. I responded that the words upgrade and replace do not mean the same thing by a long shot. I even offered way back to see if they would sell me the units at their cost and I would pay labor - that seemed win win. No one was interested so I feel I never got what was promised to those of us with 2004 to about 2007 DA40s.

Thank goodness I got mine for less than half of what you had to pay !
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
meowmeow
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sven
Aircraft Registration: N919ES
Airports: KBFI

Post by meowmeow »

It would be nice if Diamond could at least update the various packages of the Sep letter with non-ADS-B pricing, as we should all have it by now.
I'd still buy the 25K 63W option (installed locally) in a heartbeat (not because I think it's a steal, but because WAAS appproaches extend the flying options noticeably to make me want to have iI) - however, I'm aware of the [your choice of adjective] dependency of 63W-owners upgrading to 64W first in order to free up their 63W's for the rest of us, and so those chances are apparently very slim.
I would even consider shuffling resources to pay for the full NXi upgrade if the price moved closer to 150 and could be done at any capable Diamond service center.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Did the second Garmin / Diamond / DAN meeting take place ? How did it go ?
Quick update:

Yes, it did Salim and a third meeting is scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday, April 9th). Currently, there are any number of balls up in the air. Please rest assured that just as soon as they land and there is definitive news to share it will be posted on this thread.

We believe it is in the best interests of everyone that the owners group remain keenly focused on these ongoing meetings. Finally, it’s to Diamond’s great credit to engage with the owners to this extent by continuing to host these ongoing discussions, as progress is being made.

Perhaps this is one silver lining, since the earlier scheduled and largely in person meeting, was postponed.
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

Thank you for the update Scott !
Good to know Diamond is open to in depth discussions, and thank your for all your efforts
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Has anyone questioned Garmin about the decision to not make the GIA64 (all of which I understand to include WAAS) backwards compatible with the GIA63W? I’m sure that could have been done, even if it meant including an avionics shop programming a setting in installation.

Sandy
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Sandy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:37 am Has anyone questioned Garmin about the decision to not make the GIA64 (all of which I understand to include WAAS) backwards compatible with the GIA63W? I’m sure that could have been done, even if it meant including an avionics shop programming a setting in installation.

Sandy
Yes, we’re trying to clarify this issue.