5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Tiedown for DA40

Post by chili4way »

With a hat tip to Boatguy, I made an Amsteel soft shackle for my DA40NG tail (see photo). Russ also pointed me to this website of how-to information (along with directions about how to tie just about any knot): https://www.animatedknots.com/ It includes Sandy's favorite, taut-hitch (aka midshipman's hitch), and the one I use Blake's hitch.

soft-shackle.jpg
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

@chili4way,

Thank you for that reference. I see that that site promotes a somewhat different version called the Midshipman's hitch, https://www.animatedknots.com/midshipmans-hitch-knot

The idea is the same, but the second loop is located inside the first one to obtain the same result under load. They each allow you to tie the hitch and to then slide it down to tighten the tie down. Either one is far, far superior to the hodgepodge of "knots" that I see at every airport, with loose lines that invite problems in a strong wind.

Sandy
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

If you're not as ambitious as Paul and don't want to make your own soft shackle, you can buy a climber's sling and luggage tag it through the tail. Less than $10, crazy strong, very light, no metal to bang around.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=slings
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Anyone know if the slide down will work for a DA42? I’m having trouble visualizing the large wings over a tiedown spot. The manufacturer says it’s good for 100” on the wings.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

What is a good length for a tiedown rope? Is there standing mooring distance between anchors to base the length on? I feel like I need about 20-25'.

-
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

There is definitely no standard for the location of tie down rings. The shortest is when there is cable running across the ramp and the "tie down" is directly below the wing. The longest is when the rings are set for legacy single with a 30' wingspan. I don't think the distance to the takedown is every more than about 10', but then you need to take the hypoteneuse and have some ability to adjust it.

The problem I've had most often with the tail is the tiedown being too long.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:35 am There is definitely no standard for the location of tie down rings. The shortest is when there is cable running across the ramp and the "tie down" is directly below the wing. The longest is when the rings are set for legacy single with a 30' wingspan. I don't think the distance to the takedown is every more than about 10', but then you need to take the hypoteneuse and have some ability to adjust it.

So how long are your ropes, as a ideal length in general?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

ingramleedy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:46 am
Boatguy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:35 am There is definitely no standard for the location of tie down rings. The shortest is when there is cable running across the ramp and the "tie down" is directly below the wing. The longest is when the rings are set for legacy single with a 30' wingspan. I don't think the distance to the takedown is every more than about 10', but then you need to take the hypoteneuse and have some ability to adjust it.

So how long are your ropes, as a ideal length in general?
I don't know offhand. My plane, with tie downs is at the factory and I'm in Quebec. I might be able to tell you this weekend.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

michael.g.miller wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:01 pm Anyone know if the slide down will work for a DA42? I’m having trouble visualizing the large wings over a tiedown spot. The manufacturer says it’s good for 100” on the wings.
They will cut to fit your request, just ask.
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

Regarding the earlier discussion on this thread from many years ago- I finally found the perfect solution to adapting Slidedown to the tiny tail tie down hole: soft loop motorcycle tie downs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YFDTQ5S?re ... b_ap_share

It’s a small length of heavy duty webbing with loops on both ends. One loop is twisted so that it can be fed through the tie down hole and looped around itself. lays flat again the tail. We have been using them for over 1 year to great effect. Super fast to out on and remove.