4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Re: Some DA62 "Growing pains"

Post by jb642DA »

I'll try to call tomorrow to ask whether its "CA 42...." or "AC 43....."

The amount of epoxy used was "small" - I can't see any trace of it. AND the caps (6 of them) haven't moved in 8 months!

(or is that 8 of them that haven't moved in 6 months? :shock: :shock: )
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

This product might not meet the spec's called out in the DA62 service manual, but this adhesive works just as advertised* and is what Micro Aerodynamics mails out with their vortex generator kits. Have since used the remainder of the AA 330 tube and SF 7387 spray bottle on various other projects. Amazingly enough, it holds as if the parts had been welded together.

In some applications, it might help to first prep the mating surfaces with some fine grit sandpaper. Then clean several times with a cloth moistened with MEK - before applying the adhesive.

* "the one adhesive that works just about anywhere"

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... a_330.html
Christian
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Christian
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DISHX
Airports: EDML

Post by Christian »

Another issue I experienced with my 62.114, delivered 4 months ago, is a malfunction with the auxiliary tanks fuel gauge. Sometimes it shows an X (meaning no indication) instead of 18 USG if the tank is full. Once a certain amount has been transferred into the main tanks, I have proper inidcations. The problem only occurs with full aux tanks. First, only the right aux tank was affected, now both are. The owner of 62.115 told me had the same issue until the probe was cleaned. Not a big thing of course, but it shouldn't be in a brand new plane.

Has anybody else similar experience?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Christian wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:27 pm Another issue I experienced with my 62.114, delivered 4 months ago, is a malfunction with the auxiliary tanks fuel gauge. Sometimes it shows an X (meaning no indication) instead of 18 USG if the tank is full. Once a certain amount has been transferred into the main tanks, I have proper inidcations. The problem only occurs with full aux tanks. First, only the right aux tank was affected, now both are. The owner of 62.115 told me had the same issue until the probe was cleaned. Not a big thing of course, but it shouldn't be in a brand new plane.

Has anybody else similar experience?
A "yellow X" indication on the aux tanks when they are completely full is due to a software bug that applies to *EVERY* DA62 with G1000 NXi including my DA62.

As soon as you draw down aux tank fuel a bit, the gauges will show 18 gallons, and thereafter they will indicate correctly until refilled all the way again.

I'm hoping that the next DA62 software release for G1000 NXi will fix this bug (as well as enable the GTX345R ADS-B In transponder), but so far I've been waiting 2.5 years for such software. :tap:
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Christian
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Christian »

Thanks. This complies with a statement by my DAI service center. This is, however, not really in line with Nigel's (owner of 62.115) report that the issue disappeared after having the probe cleaned. I'll ask him again. Maybe I got him wrong.
Christian
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Christian »

Nigel has confirmed. He has got rid of the X after the probe has been cleaned.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Christian wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 pm Nigel has confirmed. He has got rid of the X after the probe has been cleaned.
That's bizarre, since every DA62 with NXi leaves the factory with brand new "clean" probes and full aux tanks, all showing the "yellow Xs." I'm guessing that cleaning the probe somehow changes its indicating value (it's probably a capacitive rod like fuel sensors in the main tanks; the AMM hasn't been updated to show the aux fuel gauges).

I'd be concerned that cleaning a brand new probe changes its electrical characteristics to where it won't be calibrated properly if/when the DA62 NXi software is updated to eliminate the yellow Xs. Therefore I would recommend against having the probes cleaned.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

Can you confirm another software issue on your DA62?

In flight on the MFD enable the weather radar and set some parameters according to your needs. Then on the PFD enable to show the weather radar in the inset map. On two DA62s I tried (Nigels 115 and our 113) the PFD didn’t synchronize the settings for the radar between PFD and MFD. on the PFD I could set different settings and it was unclear to me which settings the radar was using. For sure not both with one antenna ;-)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

jast wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 pm Can you confirm another software issue on your DA62?

In flight on the MFD enable the weather radar and set some parameters according to your needs. Then on the PFD enable to show the weather radar in the inset map. On two DA62s I tried (Nigels 115 and our 113) the PFD didn’t synchronize the settings for the radar between PFD and MFD. on the PFD I could set different settings and it was unclear to me which settings the radar was using. For sure not both with one antenna ;-)
The lack of radar synchronization is not a bug or malfunction: You discovered one of the cool features of the GWX70 digital radar in the nose of the DA62. It's possible to set completely different tilt, range, and other settings on the PFD vs. MFD, and the radar will satisfy both displays simultaneously. So with 2 pilots in left and right seats, each seems to be able to set and operate the radar independently -- as if you had 2 radar systems onboard.

I'm guessing this may be because it steers electronically as a phased array (rather than physically)? So far I haven't seen any documentation explaining this.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Diamond Egelsbach cleaned the probe and, since then, the gauges read correctly, even with Auxiliary tanks full.