Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Required Maintenance at 100 Hours

Post by Karl »

CFIDave wrote:Ron: You are correct that a US N-registered plane operating under Part 91 is only required to be serviced under the Chapter 4 "Airworthiness Limitations" of the AMM. Chapter 5 maintenance items are all optional at the discretion of the owner.
Hi Dave,

I understand that the Chapter 5 items are not legally required but where do Diamond stand for warranty issues if the recommended maintenance is not carried out?
I wonder how an insurance company would look at it in event of a claim?

Any excuse to avoid paying out on warranty and insurance claims is pretty much standard practice in most industries.

To the best of my knowledge there is no legal requirement to carry out an MSB but you can bet your bottom dollar the reason for calling it Mandatory Service Bulletin is so that they can avoid any claims that arise if you don't do it.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

There are only about a dozen underwriters of general aviation insurance policies, so it's a "small world" where it would be relatively easy for an underwriter to develop a bad reputation if it refused to pay out a claim -- the insurance agents who sell these policies would quickly learn about this. Since Mandatory Service Bulletins don't legally have to be complied with, there's essentially zero chance that an underwriter would ever deny a claim because a MSB wasn't performed.

MSBs *do* have relevance for warranty service. New Diamond aircraft come with a two-year warranty, so if a new MSB is published during the warranty period, the service/installation/new parts/etc. associated with that MSB should be covered at no cost to the owner under the warranty. In contrast, Optional Service Bulletins (OSBs) can be carried out at the owner's expense.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:09 am ...Diamond sells "100 hour kits" for Austro engines that provide you with a genuine Mercedes oil filter for Mercedes OM640 auto diesel engines (upon which your AE330s are based), a MANN WK 724/3 fuel filter, a paper "coffee filter" for straining your gearbox oil to look for metal (oil that you pour right back into the gearbox, replacing it only every 300 hours), some copper crush washers, and an oil sample container for mailing your oil to Austria for analysis....
Dave, thanks for providing the part numbers for all of the filters - they were pretty easy to find. Do the copper crush washers come with the oil filters, or can you tell us where to find them?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ultraturtle wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:58 pmDave, thanks for providing the part numbers for all of the filters - they were pretty easy to find. Do the copper crush washers come with the oil filters, or can you tell us where to find them?
Mercedes oil filters come with the needed rubber O-rings (large and small) needed for installation -- they're included in the box that contains the paper filter insert.

The MAN fuel filters do not come with any crush washers. Years ago I got a box of copper crush washers (off Amazon?) but don't recall what I ordered. These should be very easy to find. I recall needing these when replacing the fuel filters on my DA42. But for my DA62 I don't think I used any -- each fuel filter drain adapter screws directly into the bottom of the MAN fuel filter (i.e., no crush washers are shown in the DA62 AMM figure 5 in Section 28-20-00).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

Can anyone provide a link to the Austro E4 engine maintenance manual, Document E4.08.04?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ultraturtle wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm Can anyone provide a link to the Austro E4 engine maintenance manual, Document E4.08.04?
Austro Engine put their manuals (and engine software) on a password-protected website, providing access only to people who have completed the Diamond Austro multi-day training course. ;)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
oamir
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: ofer
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: 4XCXR
Airports: LLHZ

Post by oamir »

thanks for the info

how many working hours does the shop charges for the 100/200/300 ? (engines service and fuselage/airplane inspection)

ofer
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Ofer, don't have 200 or 300 hour airframe items top of mind, but I do know the 100 hour airframe inspection in Diamond's AMM is practically an annual. If you did it, you could easily ask your shop to sign it off as an annual... except you'd be doing it every 100 hours.

200 and 300 hour items that I pay most attention to are engine related inspections.

Random extra: I usually make a request every 100 hours to clean and look over the elevator trim friction block in the tail, otherwise it starts to get a little sticky. Otherwise, no other recurring items that have acted up except for random stuff breaking along the way or ADs. We're around the corner from 1000 hours (timing chains are up next. don't windmill restart!)
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:09 am ...You are correct that a US N-registered plane operating under Part 91 is only required to be serviced under the Chapter 4 IMHO these 100 hour kits are a ripoff, especially since I learned (with my DA42-VI's Austro engines) that after you pay all the international shipping to send an oil sample to Austro Engine in Austria, they never bother to get back to you with any results.
To clarify, the sample sent to Austro gets analyzed, and if there is an issue, they get back to you with recommendations. If not, you hear nothing. I'm at the Diamond Canada facility right now taking the DA42 Austro course, and made my displeasure with this lack of communication clear.

Please understand that if you choose to send a sample to an outside analyst for feedback, it is in addition to, not replacement of the requirement to send the sample to Austro. Not sure of the warranty implications, but would lean heavily toward sending the samples for at least the first 3 years. Personally, I will send them every time, since Austro knows their engines better than Blackstone does.