5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: New DA 62 Owners

Post by CFIDave »

dselder1962 wrote: Couple of questions if you don't mind: how did your 42-VI have the e-checklists? I tried importing them with no success then contact with Diamond told me no they don't work and we are working on them...(well over a year ago with no progress since).
And would you have an estimate of the Phase II software release? And any ideas on what it will include: perhaps visual procedures, surface watch, 510 etc.
1. I'm guessing that your DA42-VI has G1000 NXi that has no electronic checklists included in the first release of NXi software (GDU 20). My DA42-VI with checklists was an older 2013 model with legacy G1000 and different software (GDU 15).

2. Phase II G1000 NXi software availability for DA40 NG, DA42-VI, and DA62 aircraft was originally promised for this fall, but is still being flight tested. The latest estimate I have for availability is 2018 year-end. This software is expected to provide all of the features "missing" from the first release including Visual Approaches, FlightStream 510 wireless SDCard support, Surface Watch, and possibly even electronic checklists.

This software is especially anticipated by DA62 G1000 NXi owners (like me) who have been flying for more than a year with the Garmin GTX335R (ADS-B Out only) instead of the GTX345R (with ADS-B In), and hence haven't been able to receive free ADS-B In weather or traffic in the US. The NXi Phase II software is supposed to include GTX345R certification and installation for the DA62. (Ironically DA62s with legacy G1000s have been able to upgrade to the GTX345R since January 2018 via Garmin's STC/AML, and the GTX345R is already certified and an available option for new DA40 NG and DA42-VI aircraft that come standard with NXi.) So I'm looking forward to soon flying without a Stratus box sitting on top of my DA62's glare shield.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I'm looking forward to soon flying without a Stratus box sitting on top of my DA62's glare shield
Mine is sitting on the floor of the luggage area JUST behind the back of the right rear seat. I never think about it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
jbrauertn
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: M54

Post by jbrauertn »

Took delivery of my new DA62, N687DA, last week. It was the 2018 Canadian factory demonstrator and I'm loving it!! A few more hours of dual and I've met my insurance transition requirements
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Congrats Jeff!! Its a great plane!! :D :D
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
jprhode
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Registration: N62VV
Airports: KAUS

Post by jprhode »

Awww...thanks for the kind words!

I kept a plastic pitcher (thought I left it there) in the left nose baggage compartment for filing the TKS. I filled it from a 5 gal jug of TKS, and then filled the plane from the pitcher. Worked. BTW, the DA62 is kinda nose heavy. I also kept a collapsible camping water jug in the plane - 50 lbs of water in the last row does wonders for its handling manners.

I have nothing other than speculation into the rest of your questions. That said, here are some thoughts:

I recreated the Diamond checklist in the Foreflight checklist section on the iPad. I felt pretty clever about this until I got the TBM and did the same, and started flying with a 34000 hour (seriously) airline captain for my transition training. His pretty strongly held position is that you should use a hard checklist up and until you start taxiing, and after that you should not touch one until you're 10k+ feet. All mnemonics and rhymes etc at that point. Similar on the way back down between 10k feet and shutdown. Now, it's probably reasonable to modify the altitudes as appropriate for the aircraft, but after a whopping 100 hours in the TBM, I think he's right.

My two favorites are, "Don't forget your HATT," while taxiing where HATT is:
Heading (heading bug on the CDI)
Altitude bug
TOGA (depress)
Transponder (verify code set)

And, while holding short:

Lights (landing on)
Ice (pitot heat and other FIKI stuff as appropriate to the situation and aircraft)
Air (bleed air, not applicable to piston)
Flaps (takeoff)
Trim (verify appropriate)
CAS (check G1000 messages)

There are other things on the checklist at those steps, but if you get that stuff right, any other omissions are sort of details.

Note: YMMV, always do what Diamond tells you. You naughty pilot.

Given all of that, I think a checklist in the G1000 is not likely worth what you'd pay for it. And, if you really want one, you can create your own in Foreflight. Which is the best piece of software I've ever used, period.

cheers
Jason
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by jb642DA »

Jason - what's your opinion of the TBM after 100 hours in it??

To go along with Jason's comment about before takeoff - I brief to myself, or the other pilot, prior to take off -

-Runway
-Departure (there are a lot more RNAV departures in GA now!)
-First Fix
------AND (make sure Flt Director/autopilot is setup appropriately)
-Heading (could be a specific heading or NAV mode)
-Altitude
-Airspeed (if there is a restriction on the departure)

I agree with the "nose heavy-ness" of the 62, especially with radar and O2 bottle up front. We keep 40# of handheld exercise weights (vinyl coated dumbbells) in the rear seat back area "F". I have them in 2 seperate "boxes" (20# in each) to make them easier to remove when not needed. I originally had the weight in one box, but that was very difficult to lift out of the back. I also keep the engine and canopy "travel covers" (22#) in the rear row footwell area.
Looking!
jprhode
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Registration: N62VV
Airports: KAUS

Post by jprhode »

John - there aren’t enough superlatives to do it justice!
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by jb642DA »

jprhode wrote:John - there aren’t enough superlatives to do it justice!
That says it all!! It is a great plane!
Looking!
hap
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henry
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N471HP
Airports: MYNN

Post by hap »

Hi guys
Thinking about a DA62 at some point. Anybody have any data on how much extra speed or benefits to upgrading to the NXi system, assuming it can be upgraded?
Tx Hap
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

hap wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:37 pm Thinking about a DA62 at some point. Anybody have any data on how much extra speed or benefits to upgrading to the NXi system, assuming it can be upgraded?
Hi!

I was told that the upgrade path from the legacy G1000 to the Nxi is only theoretically existing and that it is not a realistic option. Also you shouldn’t expect any further software support since only a few DA62 with legacy G1000 shipped. So we eventually ruled out to buy a legacy G1000 used one.

Th Nxi is significantly faster and has a few nice detail features, however the big ones are still to be delivered in a long promised software update...

Regards,
Jan