fuel burn da40

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ben2k99

fuel burn da40

Post by ben2k99 »

I understand fuel burn for the DA40 should be around 8-10gph cruising. Does anyone have an estimate for the fuel consumption per hour that might occur for typical training maneuvers? ie: touch and goes, flying in the pattern, training in slow flight, etc?

Thanks
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Re: fuel burn da40

Post by TJS »

I did a lot of circuits for my night rating. Finished IFR in June all in my DA40. I did not use much more than that.
There are as many very low power settings as high in the circuit. It seems to balance out to same as cruising if not less.

Tim
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I have the extended range tanks on my XLS and a full tanks give me 3 days of circuits and training maneuvers going at it for 2 hours a day.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Assume 8-9 gph in a flight training environment as you described.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Ben2k99

Post by Ben2k99 »

Thanks guys. One more question: do you think installing a powerflow exhaust on an older DA40 would be worth the fuel savings alone?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Install it for the increased performance, not to save money. I doubt it would ever pay for itself in fuel savings.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

+1 on Dave's comment. Even if you ignore the initial purchase and installation cost, additional labor for the annual ICA maintenance would eat up any fuel savings. But in my opinion the performance boost is worth it. I've owned 2 DA40's, one with and one without PF, and the difference is very noticeable.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Fuel flow depends on the horsepower (Hp) being generated, and Hp is directly related to engine RPM. As there is no reason to "speed" on your downwind leg, use the lowest RPM that you're comfortable with, and, certainly, no more than needed to maintain pattern altitude at a speed lower than your flap extension speed. Leaning on your downwind leg won't hurt, either.

Sandy
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

During flight training, teaching students to fly the traffic patterns is all about building muscle memory to learn *standard* actions and flows, all of which must take place in less than 5 minutes/circuit. IMHO, dropping the RPM even further or leaning the mixture on downwind just to save a tiny bit of fuel would only complicate that process. Leave the mixture full rich, bring RPM back to 2400, and upon reaching pattern altitude set manifold pressure to 19-20 inches to hold altitude on downwind.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The business of leaving full rich, in my experience, leads to pilots who have learned that using the mixture control is dangerous. When I was instructing I often ran into low-time pilots who were taught to never touch the mixture control. And where I did most of the instructing way back when, full rich was not appropriate for takeoff, especially in the summer months. AND using full rich mixture in the low-power phase more than necessary is more likely to treat you to lead buildup on the plugs.

The deal is you'll reduce power on downwind anyway. Just pull the mixture back 1/3 or so. I'm no longer in training, per se, but it is my practice to not enrich for full-stop landing at all. It stays where it was all the way to shutdown. The exception is a go-around, of course.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5