3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Re: ADS-B Install Experience

Post by ricksigler »

Not sure, but some have talked about mounting an antenna inside on the roof. Probably not a Garmin antenna. The benefit of the GA 37 is that is replaces your XM antenna (if you have one) with only having to drill a few holes (supposedly not a structural change).

Rick
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Diamond_Dan wrote:
ricksigler wrote:Dan,

The model numbers for Garmin's antennas are GA 35, 36 and 37. The combo unit is GA 37 and Garmin wants $550 for it.

Rick
Thanks Rick - but the GA 37 looks like my externally mounted antennas? Can it be mounted inside the tailcone to avoid drilling holes in the fuselage?

Dan
Dan,

You are correct that the GA 37 looks like your externally mounted (probably GA 35) antennas. The issue regarding internal vs. external mounting relates to whether the antenna can "see" the satellites' signals. While a metal aircraft would shield signals from an internally mounted antenna, the composite structure of the Diamonds allows those internal portions of the plane that are not shielded to be suitable for internal mounting, and internal mounting has the additional advantages of not requiring structural work while protecting the antenna from weather and the elements. FYI, the GA 37 is available at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ntenna.php

Sandy
diamond_flyer
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: richard
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: n647ds
Airports:

Post by diamond_flyer »

Do any of these options give non-waas planes waas glide slope capability?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you mean the ability to fly LPV approaches, unfortunately no. Built-in WAAS is only used for improved ADS-B accuracy.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JC
Aircraft Registration: N1234567
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

Just got ADS-B upgrade installed in my DA40. Cycle Aviation at KJYO installed a GTX345R in a similar manner as the original poster. The upgrade took two weeks. Cost was about $8400 not counting the FAA rebate. It was slightly more expensive than others have quoted because they had to remove the A/C unit from the baggage area to mount the antenna.

I've only had about 7-8 hours flight time with it but it's awesome and I'm really happy I got it installed now and didn't wait. The amount of traffic that shows up on the panel is night and day different. And the traffic that shows up as triangles (ADS-B In targets) are way more accurate than TAS600 traffic. The weather only shows up on my iPad and to mirror CFIDave it's not as accurate as XM but still seems ok. I flew some light precip where XM showed I was flying through it but the ADS-B weather claimed it was still a bit off my right wing.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

beetlebug wrote:Just got ADS-B upgrade installed in my DA40. Cycle Aviation at KJYO installed a GTX345R in a similar manner as the original poster. The upgrade took two weeks. Cost was about $8400 not counting the FAA rebate.....

The weather only shows up on my iPad and to mirror CFIDave it's not as accurate as XM but still seems ok...
Jeremy -
Thank you for sharing your experience. A few questions:
Please confirm the P/N of the WAAS antenna you used for the 345R. Was it installed internally, completely inside your tailcone? Did you have to fabricate/purchase a mounting bracket, drill holes?
Did they have to run additional wires from the 345R to the front of the aircraft? (audio, data, etc.)
Is your NAV equipped with WAAS? I am trying to confirm why some get weather on the MFD and others don't. As best I can tell from the comments is if your NAV/COM is not WAAS, you won't get weather on the MFD.

I am trying to find an experienced installer in the New England area and there does not seem to be much knowledge (or even interest in some cases) in doing a DA40 installation.

Dan
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

The antenna is a GA-35 (PN 013-00235-00). As far as I know it was installed inside the tailcone. My G1000 has WAAS but the 345R they put in has its own internal WAAS GPS.

Re-reading the logbook entry it says "The existing G1000 software level does allow display of ADSb traffic and weather information" so maybe I can get weather on the MFD. I wonder how I can verify where the weather is coming from (XM or ADSb)?

Not sure on the other questions about the install (wiring/mounting/etc). I didn't get into to much detail with the shop since I knew they had already done DA40.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

beetlebug wrote:"The existing G1000 software level does allow display of ADSb traffic and weather information" so maybe I can get weather on the MFD. I wonder how I can verify where the weather is coming from (XM or ADSb)?
There are several people on this thread claiming to see traffic and weather on their MFD (But seems to require WAAS NAV/COM.) What version of G1000 software do you have? Latest I believe is 321.23

Dan
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

I have 321.23. I'll do some digging and verifying and report back. Plane is getting a tire fixed today but I should have it back tomorrow and I can check then.
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

Confirmed, I do have FIS-B Weather on the MFD. There is a menu to select either XM or FIS-B. I have a WAAS G1000 and the latest software (321.23).
IMG_2524.JPG