5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Garmin Announcement re ADS-B

Post by Rich »

Dave, I agree. Any ADS-B "in" solution for use in the US needs to be dual-band.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ricksigler
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: N741DS
Airports: KABQ

Post by ricksigler »

Here's Garmin's youtube video about the GDL-82. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0DGfEQxds

It seems to me, based on the info I've seen, that this could be a really affordable solution for those of us that have XM, WX and TAS. If I'm understanding the new product, all that is needed is to swap out the XM antenna with the XM/GPS combo antenna, mount the GDL-82 on the tray containing the transponder, power and antenna leads. Everything is there and install should be a breeze. I suspect the new antenna swap is already STC'd and I don't think anything would be needed from Diamond since there appears to be no structural modifications or software changes.

I sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (which I frequently am).

Rick
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

I am eyeing the GTX345R in order to keep mode S only traffic visible (kind of relevant in Europe). A big bonus would be GSR56 compatibility (in particular for text messages), nav data updates and flight plans transfers. Garmin.com seems to suggest FlightStream 510 supports all of these features, but I have yet to understand, if this is true for the GTX345R as well. Has anyone used either feature?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Flightstream 510 only works with G1000 NXi, not the "legacy" G1000 installed in most Diamonds. So it's not really an option.

You might want to consider a Flightstream 210, which I understand can be made to work with legacy G1000s.

The GTX345R will provide Bluetooth weather, traffic, GPS position, and AHARS info, but can't be used for syncing flight plan changes between the panel and an iPad, and can't be used to update panel databases from an iPad running Garmin Pilot.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Tom Davis
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N476PS
Airports: KOCW

Post by Tom Davis »

I have third or fourth hand information that Foreflight is trying to get something approved for the ADS-B requirements. I am not talking about using Stratus in its current form, but something that will pass FAA muster on a DA 40 with a non-WAAS G1000.

Third and forth hand information is a long way from gospel and trying to get something approved is a long way from having something approved.

I was wondering whether any of you have heard any noise about something from Foreflight.

Tom
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote:I think hooking up a GDL-82 to a Mode A transponder to comply with the mandate would be worthless, though it might still provide value outside the mandate. Can you guess why?

Answer to this quiz tomorrow :)
I know you've all been waiting for the quiz-of-the-day answer :scratch: The same airspace that will require ADS-B in 2020 also will continue to require, as it does today, Mode C. Conversely, anyone with Mode A (or Mode nothing) capability today, need not be concerned with the mandate as a legal requirement. Unless a change in airspace usage is in the cards. In which case not only does ADS-B need to be added, but also Mode C (or S).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

This is an interesting and inexpensive ADS-B solution for light sport and experimental classes. The G1000 is not on the list yet but the GTN 750 is and there is precedent for products like this getting certified. It has some nice features too.

http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/avpage ... -15205.php
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Perhaps with the FAA's new policy of quickly moving products from the uncertified world to the certified world we will be hearing good news about products like the Echo. I looked at the documentation, and it certainly does appear to be something worth looking into further, as it requires only a new WAAS GPS antenna (possibly working with the Comment XM/WAAS GPS antenna), and power/ground. While the G1000 is not listed, they do sell a SKYFYX-EXT WAAS GPS antenna that can be used without any installed WAAS GPS navigator. It includes its own WiFi, so that ADS-B traffic and weather will be available (ForeFlight etc.), and it appears to "echo" data (XPDR code) from existing Mode C transponders. I did not see any mention of using it with a Mode S transponder, although the company appears to also be selling a Mode S transponder. Maybe with all of these new developments those of us with non-WAAS G1000 systems will soon be able to find a more reasonable system to install than the GTX345R (with WAAS) that won't provide ADS-B weather without a nonexistent software upgrade.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

CFIDave wrote:The GTX345R will provide Bluetooth weather, traffic, GPS position, and AHARS info, but can't be used for syncing flight plan changes between the panel and an iPad, and can't be used to update panel databases from an iPad running Garmin Pilot.
Dave, thanks for the clarification: I guess that means no FPL/database update and no texting for G1000 owners at all. Until now I had not realized this. Interesting policy. Something to memorize for making future purchase decisions, I guess.
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

I was just advised by Garmin, "The GDL 82 can only be used with Mode A/C transponders. The DA-40 comes standard with a GTX 33, which is a mode S transponder and is not compatible with the GDL 82."

I just looked at the UAvionix Echo, and it appears to have the same issue, as the Sporty's info http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/avpage ... -15205.php says, "Keep your Mode C transponder (Already have a KT76A, Narco, Garmin Mode C, Apollo, Becker, Funkwerk, Microair or Terra? With the echoUAT wireless transponder monitor, there is no need to replace your existing transponder.)"

Gotta love it!

Sandy