4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Fuel pump malfunction

Post by Lou »

I was getting ready to leave this evening for the COPA convention in CYLW via CYBW. A beautiful high pressure ridge is forming over the Cdn Rocks. Was gonna be great when the fuel pump breaker popped. No pump.

I have searched this forum back 5 years and can't find anything, although I seem to recall it is a pretty common 400-500hr problem. My plane is 381 TT. Can anyone share some insight? So disappointing - Are the newer pumps lasting longer? I hope so.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: Fuel pump malfunction

Post by Pascal »

Could this be it?

viewtopic.php?t=4018
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Popping a breaker is a new failure mode, I believe. I can't recall anyone posting about this. If it's the pump it would likely be a short in the motor or a lockup/binding of the rotor.

I've had two failures: The first was simply producing so much electrical noise the comms were almost unusable when it was running, so I replaced it. The second was a simple failure to run. The one I have in there now has been fine for years. Maybe because I do have a spare. These are all Dukes pumps.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

Whatever you do....do NOT use Aeromotors to rebuild your Dukes pump if that is what's needed (was recommended in previous thread)

Use the shop that Diamond sends theirs to which is Quality Aero www.qaa.com

I will make a followup post to my DA20 dukes fuel pump and Aeromotors saga soon.

In response to your problem.... is fuel dripping from the belly drain pipe?
Kurt h
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Post by Kurt h »

I had to do this once with a failed pump way back in 2008. If I recall Dukes (the OEM) did the rebuild and told me they had better components that should last longer. That was about 400 hrs and now at 2000 hrs with no issues.
Kurt
2004 DA40.391
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Our fuel pump breaker popped a couple of times just yesterday. A&P is checking it out today. I'll report back on the verdict, but he is saying most likely the pump is bad.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Lou »

I ordered a new Weldon pump - there was a recertified one Aircraft Spruce Canada for a slight discount. Does it make sense to rebuild the old one to use as a spare?
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

My Dukes fuel pump problem was a drip - but this post has info on the company that I used to fix - for much less $$ than the official answer. It has been running fine since.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5130
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

RMarkSampson wrote:My Dukes fuel pump problem was a drip - but this post has info on the company that I used to fix - for much less $$ than the official answer. It has been running fine since.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5130
I used this exact advice using Aeromotors to and have had a terrible experience with their rebuild of my Dukes pump. Fuel was just barely dripping out the injection tubes with prime pump on with the newly rebuilt pump. After weeks of chexking everything else including mags, shower of sparks, etc. we finally contacted Aeromotors and they said to just take the Do Not Adjust sticker off and crank the pressure adjusting screw in...WHAT??? I thought this would have been set accurately from them so we should not tamper. In the end, we cranked that pressure adjustment screw all the way in and it got better but barely. Could get aircraft started only after priming for about 60 seconds..unbelievable.

In the end, we have sent another pump to QAA for $1195 (Diamond recommended pump rebuild shop) and I should get it back in a few days and will report back.

My experience with Aeromotors was extremely frustrating.. how could a newly rebuilt fuel pump not work?!!! It was showing proper pressures... but just didn't seem to have the proper amount of flow. (And sounded extremely feeble compared to Dukes)

My recommendation based on my experience with Aeromotors, is that there is a reason they are cheap.

If you want to roll the dice and take a chance on cheap, use Aeromotors. But I would avoid at all costs.

You must have had better luck and me, RMarkSampson or I just had bad luck!! :(
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Lou »

Well, the delivery date for the recertified Weldon pump from Aircraft Spruce I ordered 10 days ago got pushed out to the end of next week, and the same delivery date applied to the regular stock pumps. So I bit the bullet. Diamond Canada (via Aviation Unlimited) shipped me one today direct UPS. Should be here tomorrow for installation Thursday. Good service, if a little pricier.