2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N321PF
Airports: U77

Need a Solution for Faded Areas After Decal Removal

Post by Downeast25 »

I am, what I expected to be half way through replacing the decals on my DA40 XL. I have discovered however that after removing old and very sun faded decals, there is too much of a variation on the paint finish of the areas surrounding where the old decals were. I have tried a rubbing compound to blend the areas but I still think the variation is too great. Does anyone have experience with this that can offer a suggestion? I can only think of two possibilities:
1. Replace, the the same decal pattern as before and try to overlay as best as possible. I think this will be next to impossible to accomplish in practice. I also want to change the N#.
2. Figure out how to paint the areas where the fading occurred and blend it in with the rest of the airplane.

Thanks in advance for your help.
theRDWRER
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N981WL
Airports:

Re: Need a Solution for Faded Areas After Decal Removal

Post by theRDWRER »

I had this issue when removing the decals on my wing tips. It sucks, but I would advise against doing anything rash and wait a few months since the contrast in the colors subsides quickly. I ultimately had one wingtip painted (there was some hangar rash on it) and the other left alone and now, 6 months later, I can barely see the lines from the old decal on the wingtip that wasn't painted. This is despite my plane being hangared.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

3M Perfect-it compound through finishing glaze will restore the gloss to everything but the dullest aircraft but the process is very labor intensive in 3 steps. Depending on how faded the aircraft is you need to keep working the paint finish with a machine and different pad grades using the liquid. Worked a charm when I removed and changed my numbers.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... mpounding/
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Of the two offered solutions, the engineer would approve the least-effort method of waiting.

I admit that I am of the "instant gratification is a little slow for my taste" set, so I would borrow one of the electric buffers.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

You can polish the exterior with compound and it will take the majority of it down but it won't completely go away. That being said it also isn't very noticeable. I flew my Diamond for a few months as a white tail and I am considering going back to it. It actually looks pretty nice in plain white.