4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Re: More robust, Diamond or Cessna?

Post by Paul »

You'd have to think a 182 would be more serviceable given everything said although the engine and avionics are the same. Plus you have to take into account that with so many model years specific parts may not be that easy to come by. I bet given the fuel usage difference over the long term ownership costs probably are pretty close but there is no doubt I'd rather be stuck in Blowfly (no offense I live close by myself) in a 182.

However for me the flying isn't just about getting from point A to B. I have a few hours in a 182 and there is just no comparison in terms of flying joy between a 182 and a DA40. So my advice, if your mission profile doesn't require the dirt strip/loading capability of 182, is to fly both and see if the flight experience of one is much more preferred than the other. If so, whichever one wins will be well worth it.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

Do you want to fly a truck or a sports car? The truck may be more practical but the sports car is more fun and gets better gas mileage.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Well said Gary.

Looks like most of us voted for a sports car of airplanes.

I think if my mission was more so toward unimproved fields, then I would lean toward the C182/pickup truck. A piece of machinery becomes beautiful to look at in the context of what it was built for. A pickup truck is beautiful in those GM ads when it is all loaded up with wood and with a big chain dragging some heavy backhoe. But then in a traffic jam in LA - a big old V8 pickup is ugly, and a prius becomes beautiful. But on a curvy mountain road - a sports car becomes beautiful.

I drive a Subaru WRX STI - great road car and very good for snow we get here amongst sporty cars. But it can't do all things. We have a minivan to all all 3 boys, the toys, the camper, etc. We drive the minivan very little because neither me nor my wife like it when we are alone, but it sure is cool when it is tasked to do what it was built for to have the right piece of equipment.

I think I would really enjoy spending some time in blowfly someday. Sounds beautiful. And I think I would rather be stranded in blowfly than in New Jersey (where I am today....). Not to mention I bet the rate at the FBO is much more reasonable in Blowfly. The funny irony here is that after all this ribbing about Blowfly - I looked it up - never heard of it before, and now it is one of those places I hope to go to someday! Maybe this is the same for a few others of you?

Cheers,
Erik
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

Gary wrote:My DA40 is at the Diamond Service Center Midwest Avtech in Peru Illinois for the 1000 hour inspection and RSB for the firewall seal. I was emailed the final cost a few days ago and it is not pretty. I hope it is a mistake. If the preliminary cost is accurate, it would be a strong argument not to get a Diamond. More details later when I get the itemized bill. It might be the shop more than the airplane. We will see.
I believe there's an outfit near there that does pipeline patrol in a DA40 (or DA40's). At last check, they had many thousands of hours on the airframe(s). That's pretty tough use by any standard.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

GLDAS wrote: I believe there's an outfit near there that does pipeline patrol in a DA40 (or DA40's). At last check, they had many thousands of hours on the airframe(s). That's pretty tough use by any standard.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
That is a 2003 DA40 with over 7000 hours and is on it's 3rd engine. It remains to be determined how composite aircraft will hold up over time. Will they be flying for 50 or more years like the spam cans?
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Gary, I had a glider , a construction from the 1967 , my s/n was build in 1969 a FFA Diamant with 16.5 Meter wingspan. i sold it in 1990. It still is in Operation more than 2000 F/H. It has been repainted about 10 years ago and still looks like new. Till 2009, when I brought the DA 40 I had a DG100 Glider made in 1983, when I sold it with 1400 F/H it had the original paint and still looked like new.
I think composite planes need a bit more to be looked After, polishing and cleaning and the most importend this i think is to have the composite airframe in a hangar or at least in a shaded place to Protest it from UV.

Thomas
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Sorry for my writing and spelling ..... I am fighting with my IPAD and the German and English Keypad.
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

FTA - Flight Training Australia had a number of DA 42s parked outside (ie never hanagred) in Adelaide South Australia. Thats where I grew up, they have lots of sunshine.

They recently upgraded their DA42s, the older DA 42s were still in prime condition with respect to the external surfaces.

Cheers

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

When comparing spam cans to Diamonds, I lost my head a few years back and bought a 1980 C-172rg for a leaseback that has the carburated O-360 with a constant speed prop. I thought the maintainence problems would be with the landing gear, but what has really eaten us alive in maintenance costs was the constant replacement of instruments, cables, exhaust pipes and a myriad of small items. The maintenance bill for the spam can is much more, and could be even more if we went after every piece of plastic trim that had a crack or had been stop drilled. The Cessna flys well but feels like a truck and is nothing special to look at. The GW of both planes is 2646 vs 2650 and they haul about the same with full fuel.

The DA40 is a real eyecatcher and there is never a doubt about which airplane I want to fly. Its fun to fly, has great visibility, great avionics and a great safety record. I second the comment about carrying a set of inner tubes with you, and maybe a rebuilt fuel pump and o-rings, but other than that the plane is solidly built.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA