5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Re: New Kid in Town

Post by Gary »

Thomas,
My 2003 DA40 was very similar to yours before I replaced the "steam gauge" instruments with the Garmin G500. I have Garmin 530 and 430 instead of the dual 430 installation you have, otherwise nearly identical aircraft. I also have the 3 blade MT prop. I know of a Diamond Service Center with a similar 2003 DA40 (serial number 40.289?) that is used for pipeline patrol that has over 6000 hours so the maintenance history of our configuration is well established.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Charles wrote:Salut Erik, I'm out of CYHU (CYUL is not GA-friendly). There are four DA40s, two or three DA20s and one recently upgraded DA42 here, all owned by individuals.
Hi Charles, I promised myself to learn to fly to Canada this summer. I read all the rules, but felt a bit overwhelmed and I have not done it yet. You are so very close except for the border. 82nm. Soon....
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Erik wrote: Hi Charles, I promised myself to learn to fly to Canada this summer. I read all the rules, but felt a bit overwhelmed and I have not done it yet. You are so very close except for the border. 82nm. Soon....
Erik, you'll find that what makes it complicated is not so much getting into Canada, it's returning to the US! I did it for the first time in July this year and have done it a few times since and it's not so bad after all. Get your US CBP Decal (once a year), register on eAPIS (once), register for Canpass if you fly into Canada outside regular business hours (every 5 years), file proper flight plans each time you cross the border, submit notices of departure/arrival on eAPIS each time, and call Canadian customs ahead of time when you go into Canada.

You're in an enviable location, a short distance from Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. Seems to me that it would make sense for you to figure out the customs procedures. Same goes for us, we're a short distance from Boston, Newport, New York, etc. Going through customs formalities was definitely worth it.

Charles
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Very importatnt!!!
When entering back onto the United States from Canada, it is imperative that
you exit the aircraft (only when directed to) with both hands and all fingers including your thumbs pointing skyward, parallel with your body and with both elbows bent at perfect 90 degree angles. :mrgreen:
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Yes, silly me. I read all the rules in June, and I had a big head of steam to just do it. But I didn't and now I forgot the rules already. I just need to go with someone who did it before to be sure I don't forget something.
CYHU will be one of the first places to go. And I want to go to Quebec City. And I promised my 13 year old I would take him fishing in New Brunswick - I don't even like fishing! But he loves fishing - and I love flying, and I love spending time with him...

I will definitely want to come back following my trip to Canada. ;)

Erik
Charles wrote:
Erik wrote: Hi Charles, I promised myself to learn to fly to Canada this summer. I read all the rules, but felt a bit overwhelmed and I have not done it yet. You are so very close except for the border. 82nm. Soon....
Erik, you'll find that what makes it complicated is not so much getting into Canada, it's returning to the US! I did it for the first time in July this year and have done it a few times since and it's not so bad after all. Get your US CBP Decal (once a year), register on eAPIS (once), register for Canpass if you fly into Canada outside regular business hours (every 5 years), file proper flight plans each time you cross the border, submit notices of departure/arrival on eAPIS each time, and call Canadian customs ahead of time when you go into Canada.

You're in an enviable location, a short distance from Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. Seems to me that it would make sense for you to figure out the customs procedures. Same goes for us, we're a short distance from Boston, Newport, New York, etc. Going through customs formalities was definitely worth it.

Charles
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Tommy wrote:Very importatnt!!!
When entering back onto the United States from Canada, it is imperative that
you exit the aircraft (only when directed to) with both hands and all fingers including your thumbs pointing skyward, parallel with your body and with both elbows bent at perfect 90 degree angles. :mrgreen:
Tommy - That is exactly what I am afraid of!!! What if we get mistaken for some criminals, like John and Martha King?
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Hello Everyone who greeted me. Sorry for being so "distant", I am scuba diving in the red sea, off the egyptian desert. Internet is ... well difficult, but just wanted to say hello and I ll be in touch soon

Antoine
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

That's ok Antoine, we hijacked your thread while you were away :D

(Welcome to the forum, by the way!)